starting strength gym

Thread: Squat From Check

Default Squat From Check

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    I think these are pretty decent. I am still having trouble setting my knees and keeping them set though. Any comments/tips to improve things?

Squat - YouTube

Facing the other way is probably better, unless there are clowns jugging monkeys while riding unicorns over there or something. Having the wall that close can be quite distracting and doesn't give you the ability to look 3-6' feet in front of you on the floor.

These aren't bad squats. But you can improve some things. Finish the squat by standing all the way up at the top - this means that knees and hips are locked out, you don't appear to be finishing the ROM and locking out either one. Also, hold your breath. Not just on the way down but the entire way up, too. The correct time to let your breath out is at the top of the rep, after your knees and hips are fully locked out and you have skeletal support for the load. Finally, you're a bit deep. Cut off an inch or two and stay tighter on the way down.

Michael, thanks. I can make those improvements, minus one thing. I have "loose joints" aka joint laxity. For just about all movements (bench press and press) I don't feel very comfortable locked out. But I may be unnecessarily carrying this over to squats since I think I lock out my deadlifts. Most people feel strong when locked out...but I feel unstable. My ligaments/tendons are pretty loose (diagnosed by SS coach and doctors) so I have to be careful. I have also had knee surgery...not that it particularly matters, but worth mentioning.

Do you easily go into overextension or hyperextension that you cannot control, if you lock out?