starting strength gym

Thread: Inserting a light day into LP

Default Inserting a light day into LP

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    Hi Andy,

Hopefully you can let me know if I am on the right track, and like many of my posts, sorry about the wall of text ahead =)

I am on my 3rd run at SS novice (first stopped to a vacation and 2nd due to injury) and doing well but I am starting to find that my recovery is taking more like 3 days instead of 2.

I think this is due to my age (41), the weights getting heavier and also that a couple of times per week I do overtime so leave home at 6am and get back around 7pm, and these days get hectic so I also miss a few feeding sessions.

The days that best work for me for lifting are Sunday, Tuesday and Thursday.
    So I have thought that I could do the normal SS LP workouts (+ 3 sets of 5 weighted chins) on Sunday and Thursday and a light day on Tuesday.

Light day would be around 80%? - 90%? work sets in squats then 3 sets of 5 weighted dips and then 3 x 5 barbell rows followed by 3 x 5 weighted pull-ups. However, as this is a 'light' day I don't want to bust my nuts, so would you recommend I find a 5RM and then work at 80 or 90% for dips and rows?

Where I am lacking is my bench and OHP so if I am doing assistance exercises I would like to work on these areas. Do you have any suggestions for alternative exercises? I do like close-grip bench but thought doing both dips and close-grip may not be a good idea, but then again I don't know much. I also like the tricep pullover thing (skull crushers??) but I don't have a curl bar, though I am looking for one.

So, I guess the main question I am trying to solve is: Should I continue to milk the SS novice (I haven't dropped a lift but I have started micro loading using 650 gram chains - call it a pre-emptive strike, lol).

OR, should I just move into a program that gives me a scheduled light day?
    I have looked at the intermediate program and what I dislike is the once a fortnight deads and once a fortnight cleans..without a doubt my 2 favorite lifts.

Anyway, many thanks if you can let me know if I should do I as I intend or do something else - I have had years in the gym and got no-where..this type of training has really worked for me so I want to make sure I don't start second-guessing what I should or shouldn't do.

Don't have time for wall of text. Narrow your questions down.