starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: starting strength beginner

Default starting strength beginner

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    hi mark, i've been reading your book and would like to give it a go. Can you please review my workout plan below and tell me if it looks ok. the starting numbers are what i think i could safely do with good form.

the weights are in kg.

and i've replaced the powerclean with the barbell row because i havent yet found a coach to teach me how to do it.

i've been learning to do the deadlift and bench correctly by recording myself and reviewing the form and matching it up with (your) videos and the book, which i am struggling with at the moment because it is a tad too technical for my level of experience, but it's slowly sinking in. i will do the same for the squat, press and the row.

my goal is to start the programme the first week of August so until then i am just getting the technique and preparation down.

my stats are (6'3 95kg im a little fat but i think weak for someone my size)

{1}

This is what a linear progression looks like, indeed. But be prepared to adjust it if your progress slows or other factors complicate your training. And why is everybody so damned scared of even trying the clean by themselves? What bad thing could happen if you do it completely wrong with a light weight? What in the hell is wrong with everybody?????

The most embarassing experience for me in a gym was with the power clean. I slipped as the bar had lost its momentum and the weight fell on me as I fell on my ass. (Of course, this was me when I was 120 pounds and struggling to bench 70 pounds. It irks me to know how much I could have done with proper nutritional advice at 14.)

As for me, I'm currently doing rows until I can afford to shell out for a set of bumper plates. That's the one piece of equipment I can't seem to find inexpensively (used, etc.)

What do you imagine people did before bumper plates became widely available? When do you think this occurred? Do you think I learned to clean on bumper plates? It is only a limitation if you want it to be.

Hi

most gyms don't have bumper plates, I know I've never seen them in 'real life' before.

Chris

To every one who is afraid of power cleans, just give them a go, i don't have bumpers and i train on wooden floors upstairs, so i couldn't use bumpers even if i had them. At the begining i was a little unsure about wether i would be able to teach myself, and although i couldn't claim to be strong at them yet, or have perfect form, they are by far my favourite lift and one i really want to get strong at.

Do yourselves a favour POWER CLEAN!!

Quote Originally Posted by ibsulon View Post
    As for me, I'm currently doing rows until I can afford to shell out for a set of bumper plates. That's the one piece of equipment I can't seem to find inexpensively (used, etc.)
    This is a lame excuse. Just do the cleans and lower the weight to the floor.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by DOM View Post
    To every one who is afraid of power cleans, just give them a go, i don't have bumpers and i train on wooden floors upstairs, so i couldn't use bumpers even if i had them. At the begining i was a little unsure about wether i would be able to teach myself, and although i couldn't claim to be strong at them yet, or have perfect form, they are by far my favourite lift and one i really want to get strong at.

Do yourselves a favour POWER CLEAN!!
    I too dithered around about power cleans before I started the SS program in late June -- then just decided, what the hell, and did them. (I'll note that all my prep involved reading the p/c section of SS like 10 times, watching videos a bunch, then just gritting teeth and going for it.) The first two workouts on power cleans involved an empty bar (or a bar with 5 pounds added), and lots and lots of partial movements (jumping with the bar, shrugging and snapping the elbows, putting shrug and jump together, jump and elbows together, etc., etc.). After that, I just kind of went for it, and paid close attention to what I was doing. Now, I'm in Week 6, and I'm finally feeling like the power cleans are getting dialed in (75 lbs. last time around). Worth it, though ... especially after getting a ton of weird stares from 18yo bench junkies the other day.

Just try'em -- they're so much fun once the pieces fall into place, you'll be glad you did.

Ok, i'll do the power clean. So that will be the starting strenght workout exactly without any modification. Will my upper/mid back get sufficient work from this routine? If i cant do any chins will I suddenly be able to do them after finishing starting strength -- or should I start working on them now? Cheers.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by aager View Post
    Just try'em -- they're so much fun once the pieces fall into place, you'll be glad you did.
    This is key - they are SO MUCH FUN.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast