starting strength gym

Thread: Water on the Knee

Default Water on the Knee

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    Hello Coach Rip,

Based on my internet searches, I have what seems to be "water on the knee". When my knee is bent (at the bottom postion of a squat), a lump forms on my right leg, just to the right of the knee cap. It is soft and feels like accumulated liquid. My leg in any other postion seems fine. At 90 degrees I start to feel the lump form. The curious thing is I have no pain, only a feeling of stiffness when walking and tightness around the knee when at the bottom of the squat. I noticed it about three days ago, but not quite sure how or why it happened. I am 32 years old and train using the lifts and form described in SS. I have iced the last three nights but have seen no change.

Have you come across this before? Do you think I should train normally since there is no pain? Any advice on how to handle?

Thanks for your time Coach Rip.

You're worried because your knee is ugly?

I had the exact same thing a few weeks ago. About four or five days after I first noticed it, my knee exploded. I can no longer walk.

Nah, I'm just kidding. It went away on its own. YMMV.

Thanks for the replies. Yesterday I trained on it and it felt fine. Just curious what causes fluid build up like that and if it might be an indication of poor form.

Lots of different knee injuries result in an accumulation of fluid. It will go away.