starting strength gym

Thread: deadlift grip performance

Default deadlift grip performance

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    i have advanced my deadlifts to the point that i can no longer get all 5 reps with a double overhand grip.

But I don't necessarily want to switch to a mixed grip. It feels uncomfortable and unnatural to me. what is your opinion of a double overhand mixed grip? Obviously highly painful, but it sounds like i might be able to condition my hands to overcome this pain?

appreciate your thoughts.

What is a double-overhand mixed grip?

Mixed grip feels very weird at first. You'll get used to it.

If you don't want an alternate grip, then using the hook-grip with the double-overhand is the way to go. I assume this might be what you're talking about with "double overhand mixed grip". It's either that or you have some very strange hand anatomy.

I apologize. I am asking your opinion of switching to a double overhand hook grip, as opposed to a mixed grip.

Quote Originally Posted by wbsgn12 View Post
    Obviously highly painful, but it sounds like i might be able to condition my hands to overcome this pain?
    Well whatever it is, it's highly painful. Obviously.
    Last edited by Mark Rippetoe; 11-07-2011 at 10:36 PM.

If you really don't want to use a mixed grip (one forearm supine, one prone) then just keep your double overhand grip and use straps. Your grip will never be as strong but you will still be able to pull.

A better solution though would be to get used to the mixed grip like everyone else who deadlifts with heavy weights. I don't understand your logic in contemplating going from a grip that feels "uncomfortable and unnatural" to one that is "obviously highly painful" (and physically impossible since you can't double overhand and mix grip...) Just start using the mixed grip on your work sets and you will get used to it. I for one prefer something uncomfortable to something highly painful.

To the OP: Please read your posts instead of just typing them and submitting them. Even people who cannot spell, do not know how to punctuate or capitalize, speak English as a second language, and high bar quarter squat 135 with the pussy pad in the smith machine, can recognize the difference between "mixed" and "hook".

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by wbsgn12 View Post
    I apologize. I am asking your opinion of switching to a double overhand hook grip, as opposed to a mixed grip.
    It's painful. But you're not a pussy, so try it.