starting strength gym
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Hook grip for Deadlifts

Default Hook grip for Deadlifts

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    Hi all,

At the novice stage I'm trying to stick with double-overhand grip as much as possible. In my last DL session (I did 235 lbs for the first time) I had to use the alternate grip for the work set. However, I'm afraid of the asymmetrical stress on the shoulders.

Since I'm not intending to deadlift at a meet, I guess straps may be a logical choice for the work sets and double-overhand grip for as much of the warm-up as possible.
    However, while re-reading the chapter on the Power Clean, I saw that "Very heavy deadlifts – 800+ pounds – have been pulled with a hook grip..."

I tried it and it was incredibly hard on the thumbs (since I Power Clean much, much lighter I hadn't noticed this). Maybe I'm putting too much of the thumb under the bar? Should it be just the tip of the thumb? Any insight is much appreciated.

I know that the forum's search tool can be hard to use, so I'll give you a protip:

In google, put your search terms, and include site:startingstrength.com to exclude the rest of the interwebz from your results. Or, if you want to search the entire internet for questions about hook grips, you can omit the site:startingsthrength.com bit. There are lots and lots of illustrations, bushels of videos, and millions of words of text already written on this issue.

Thanks, Coach.
    Your response could've been a lot snarkier, so I appreciate the level-headed response. The native search tool does suck. I did try the site specific Google search as you suggested. I think I found what I was looking for.

Best,

Quote Originally Posted by JCR View Post
    Hi all,

At the novice stage I'm trying to stick with double-overhand grip as much as possible. In my last DL session (I did 235 lbs for the first time) I had to use the alternate grip for the work set. However, I'm afraid of the asymmetrical stress on the shoulders.
    So just alternate the pronated and supinated hands every deadlift session or every rep, even.

Quote Originally Posted by Satch12879 View Post
    So just alternate the pronated and supinated hands every deadlift session or every rep, even.
    Alternated grip still is still an 'asymmetrical stress', even if you swap it every rep/session.

- just the tip (how oft have I muttered those fateful words). For realz, though, your index and middle finger only should be pressing into the tip of your thumb (pressure should be even and strong along the distal phalanx of your thumb).

- squeeze the tip (& bar for that matter) as hard as you possibly can. Don't slacken one bit throughout the set.

- other than the 'swept under thumb', try to make the a hook grip as much like standard double overhand grip. Same relative hand positions (I used to take a really deep-in-palm hook grip, but stopped after ripping small chunks out of my hand).

- if you have really tiny, carnie hands...kill yourself.
    Last edited by John Hanley; 11-02-2015 at 04:34 PM.

One thing that's helped me use the hook grip is to still squeeze as hard as possible with my hands. When I first started using the hook, I sort of relaxed my grip a bit, and just let the weight of the bar trapping my underneath my fingers do all the work, and this hurt, a lot. Squeezing harder, and more practice seemed to help me (using the hook grip for power cleans to increase the reps, for example.) Now, it hardly gives me any problems, even for sets of 8.

Quote Originally Posted by John Hanley View Post
    - just the tip (how oft have I muttered those fateful words). For realz, though, your index and middle finger only should be pressing into the tip of your thumb (pressure should be even and strong along the distal phalanx of your thumb).

- squeeze the tip (& bar for that matter) as hard as you possibly can. Don't slacken one bit throughout the set.

- other than the 'swept under thumb', try to make the a hook grip as much like standard double overhand grip. Same relative hand positions (I used to take a really deep-in-palm hook grip, but stopped after ripping small chunks out of my hand).

Death has been my recommendation to such people, and it has worked well.

Use the hook grip on all your pulling exercises until you build that thumb callus and pain tolerance. This is what I did and do.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by John Hanley View Post

Thanks, coach. Exactly the kind of advice I was looking for. Much appreciated.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast