starting strength gym

Thread: Macros to Cut/Maintain

Default Macros to Cut/Maintain

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    Hi Jordan,

I tried replying to my initial query from January, but it didn't take. Apologies as I'm sure I mucked it up but oh well.

6'/220/male/~22%BF?

Current lifts:
    squat 350x5x3
    deadlift 405x4
    press 157x5x3
    bench 225x5x3
    cleans 185x3x5

Goals are to maintain strength and cut bodyfat. I think 200-205 will feel about right. I'm aiming to get back into rock climbing and need to cut the bulk. I'm currently eating 250/110/60 per day, although I just pulled it out of my ass.

I'm lifting three days per week with conditioning on the end of each workout. Not adding weight to the bar. I'll also be doing a couple indoor climbing sessions each week but that's more technique work than anything system-draining.

Any advice or ball-busting is much appreciated. Glad you had a nice break. Really enjoy your forum here.

chris

Those macros seem awfully low for someone your size. How old are you as well? When are you planning on doing the climbing sessions and what kind of conditioning are you planning on doing?

32 years old

Week will look like this:

T-AM: squat/press/pullups/rower HIIT (20 sec/1:40 recovery, 10 rounds)

Th-AM: squat warmup/bench/cleans/dips/10 minute circuit (swings, thrusters, etc); [will eventually add evening climbing session]

Sa-Midday: squat/press/deadlift/pullups/rower HIIT

Su-AM climbing session

-will alternate bench/press sessions weekly

Half-shitty setup, I know but work schedule and daddy demands are a bit inflexible. Once summer rolls around I'll be free (teacher) and can set up proper.

Thanks for the help. Like I said, just pulled the macros out of my ass. I'm just looking to maintain strength and move my non-climbing training to more GPP.

It'd be something like 260/215/60 5x per week and then 230/375/55 on Tuesday and Saturday. I'd adjust carbs and fat as needed from there.

Thanks much, Jordan. I have adjusted accordingly and, for the first time in months, actually felt kinda hungry between meals.

So it looks like the basic protocol for cut/maintain versus build macros is manipulation of fat intake (with offsetting CHO)? This is unfortunate, as drowning everything is butter and coconut oil is so tasty...

And just because I'm stupid: Why the increased CHO on two lifting days if I'm not adding weight to the bar? Is this more for refeeding than actually supporting the workout? I would have figured (again, being dumb) that working with weights already under control wouldn't need much extra calorie to maintain that level. Just curious.

starting strength coach development program
    So it looks like the basic protocol for cut/maintain versus build macros is manipulation of fat intake (with offsetting CHO)? This is unfortunate, as drowning everything is butter and coconut oil is so tasty...
    Pretty much. For quicker fat loss, protein might come down even further but this would be at the expense of strength and capacity. If you had 2 weeks to get shredded for the beach or something all 3 macros would be different.

And just because I'm stupid: Why the increased CHO on two lifting days if I'm not adding weight to the bar?
    Good question. The training, which is still relatively heavy, provides the best stimulus for carbohydrate/nutrient partitioning to the skeletal muscle vs. a rest day or climbing. Additionally, I'm figuring the added food will be better tolerated in your tummy during a strength workout vs. a climbing workout. Finally, given the right programming, I bet you could still see some strength increases at least for a little bit.

Is this more for refeeding than actually supporting the workout?
    That too. The refeeds are mainly for leptin and thyroid hormone levels, but see above response as well.