starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ordered B&R Bar. Expecting the worst from UPS

Unhappy Ordered B&R Bar. Expecting the worst from UPS

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    Was supposed to be getting the bar today, but it's been delayed due to a train derailment. They've not updated the delivery time yet. So in addition to the usual care given to packages by UPS, I'm expecting this bar to have been through a bit more than what mere humans can do to it.

Are there any quick things I can check for while the UPS guy is still there? I'd rather refuse the delivery right then if there's something wrong with it, rather than find it later and have to ship it back to Rogue.

I was so exited to get it today too. Can't believe this bar has likely gone off the rails in a fully loaded rail car.

I got my CAP from walmart with the end caps on the tube packaging busted open. I quickly checked the ends for damage (only saw a cosmetic nick) and I made sure the sleeves rotated.

+1 on that. I'd also comment that UPS gets a bad rap w/ these B&R bars, but i have a hard time envisioning how their handling can bend a bar inside a thick walled cardboard tube without damaging the tube. Heck, even if it was shipped without the tube it would be tough to bend one of these bars without actually loading plates on it. The York style bars, due to their end-cap design should also be quite resistant to being smacked end-on. So, if you get a bent bar, it's,imo, much more likely that York shipped it that way than that it got bent in transit.

Don't worry about it. If you get a damaged bar, Rogue will take care of you. Anything damaged I have gotten from them, they've replaced with no issues. I'm not sure if they package the B&R bar themselves like they do their own bars, but the packaging for their bars is pretty good. All the barbells I've received from them have been undamaged, although the cardboard can get a little banged up.

The packaging the B&R comes in is pretty damned serious. It'll probably be fine, and if it's not somehow then Rogue will replace it.

Last edited by greywar; 05-22-2014 at 02:16 PM. Reason: double post

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyMetal View Post
    Was supposed to be getting the bar today, but it's been delayed due to a train derailment. They've not updated the delivery time yet. So in addition to the usual care given to packages by UPS, I'm expecting this bar to have been through a bit more than what mere humans can do to it.

Are there any quick things I can check for while the UPS guy is still there? I'd rather refuse the delivery right then if there's something wrong with it, rather than find it later and have to ship it back to Rogue.

I was so exited to get it today too. Can't believe this bar has likely gone off the rails in a fully loaded rail car.
    I ordered mine as a part of a larger shipment but the tube and end caps were unmarred when I got my B&R. but if that thick tube is marred or an endcap off I would refuse it unless they let you fully inspect.

Quote Originally Posted by veryhrm View Post
    +1 on that. I'd also comment that UPS gets a bad rap w/ these B&R bars, but i have a hard time envisioning how their handling can bend a bar inside a thick walled cardboard tube without damaging the tube. Heck, even if it was shipped without the tube it would be tough to bend one of these bars without actually loading plates on it. The York style bars, due to their end-cap design should also be quite resistant to being smacked end-on. So, if you get a bent bar, it's,imo, much more likely that York shipped it that way than that it got bent in transit.
    My anecdotal data point: Both of the bars I had shipped (one from Bill Ennis and one from Wayfair) arrived with only a cardboard slinky around them. The TPB has some cosmetic damage that I can only guess was caused by the bar being placed somewhere vertically and falling over. Fortunately it is a barbell and not a sports car. Neither is bent.

Thanks guys. My bar will be here tomorrow, and I'll relax about it. I'm more irritated about having to wait another day to get it than anything.

starting strength coach development program
    I got it in, and inspected it as best I could. Seems to be right about perfect. The bar is perfectly straight as far as I can tell. Unlike my totally bent old chromed CAP barbell. The knurling on this bar is fantastic. Even still coated with machine oil, it's got a better grip than my chromed bar with chalk. It's like a really fine velcro in my hands. I'm sure that's as much to do with the raw steel as it is the knurling. Both sleeves also spin nicely. I'm very happy so far, and I haven't even loaded a plate on it.

Now I just need to get all the oil off of it. *I'm thinking mineral spirits ought to work pretty well for that and leave a dry surface.

*edit: Decided not to clean it with anything. An old dry t-shirt seems to have gotten all the excess residue off that's needed. Hopefully that will leave some protection on the bar in my sometimes humid garage.
    Last edited by HeavyMetal; 05-23-2014 at 07:16 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast