starting strength gym

Thread: Deadlift check please

Default Deadlift check please

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    I have been trying to change my deadlift from the advice I got at the seminar. How's this look now?

Thank you.

Did we talk to you about keeping your hips up at the seminar?

What did we say about Ed Coan and his deadlift? See any similarities?

I think this is happening because you're setting up with the bar about 1/4-1/2" to far forward (hard to tell from over here), based on your knee position and your low hips. Have somebody check to make absolutely sure you're putting the bar over your midfoot. Finally, you're not finishing the lift - your knees and hips are not fully in extension. And get your chest up.

Other than that, a fine effort at 420. Looked pretty easy. Should be even easier after you fix this stuff.

Thanks Steve,

Ok, I see what you talk about with not finishing the lift. Should be easy enough to fix.
    I'll see if I can get someone to watch the bar position for me next time. I'm pretty sure it's starting in the correct position. I do have some problems with it coming forward when trying to cross the knee. Feels like if I try to keep it against the the skin that it bounces off the knee cap .
    Yes, I remember the Coan video and the analysis. I understand the hips argument and agree with it, but actually doing it is very difficult. I feel like I'm barely able to set my low back even at this hip height, as the hip goes higher I can't do it. What do you do in that situation?

When you sit back instead of keeping your hips up, it shoves the bar forward. Make sure he checks AFTER you squeeze up.

Quote Originally Posted by Mugaaz View Post
    Feels like if I try to keep it against the the skin that it bounces off the knee cap .
    This is fixed by using a bit more knee in early in the movement. DL is mostly quad extension off the floor, which is what moves the knees out of the way of the bar. Don't overdo it, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Mugaaz View Post
    Yes, I remember the Coan video and the analysis. I understand the hips argument and agree with it, but actually doing it is very difficult. I feel like I'm barely able to set my low back even at this hip height, as the hip goes higher I can't do it. What do you do in that situation?
    Try harder? I know that when I am pulling with light weight, and before I'm really warmed up, the bar comes off the floor a bit when I set my back. This improves as I warm up and the weight gets heavier, but you're just using "I can't do it" as an acceptable answer because it's hard. But dropping your hips is never, ever the answer to the problem. WE TOLD YOU IT WAS THE HARD PART of the set-up method, and you demonstrated that you were able to do it correctly for us on the platform at the seminar. The answer may be to go back to a lighter weight at which you can demonstrate the correct movement pattern and then work back up from there.

What width belt are you using? This may also be part of the issue.
    Last edited by Steve Hill; 09-24-2015 at 06:25 AM.

Fair enough, I will work on it.

I'm using a 4" inch belt. The belt definitely does get in the way of getting into position. I read Rip's article about belt width on deadlift, I'll look into a smaller one for DL.