starting strength gym
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Can't fall asleep

Default Can't fall asleep

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    I have trouble sleeping. I workout in the evening or night, 2 hours at a time, anytime in the time frame between 6 PM till 9 PM. That usually gets my heartrate up and pumping. I also take pre-workout supplements, 30 min before my workout, so that could also be a factor.

Can't fall asleep and toss and turn. This is after downing a huge post-workout meal... usually consisting of a half pound steak, a full can of beans or lentils or chili, and a protein shake w/ 16 oz. of whole milk... quite a heavy 1200+ calorie meal. This is on top of taking melatonin too...

For example today I took 2 scoops of Jack3d at 5 PM. Lifted from 5:30 - 7:45 PM. PR'd in squats and deadlifts, and also did bench, 3 sets of pullups to failure, and 3 sets of curls. Overall an intense workout. Its now midnight and I feel "normal" (neither wired nor fatigued).

To top it off, I woke up today at 8 AM... not like I slept in. I should be tired, wtf is going on? How do you guys go to bed?

i am thinking of smoking some of my roommates medicinal pot or drinking several beers, but that's probably not the best solution for recovery...

You took something that includes large amounts of caffeine, and now you're wondering why the fuck you're not tired?

But that was 7 and a half hours ago, and I did an intense 2 hour workout, and ate an enormous, fatty meal.

As I stated in my post, the elevated heartrate and metabolism from the workout + the stimulants I took could play a part, but it's not like I just took the caffeine and came home from the gym.

What do people that do lift at night/evening do to help go to bed early? Not take any caffeine? Or if they do, how do you do it?

Dont take power naps.

Sit in the dark at your desk reading stupid shit on the WWW. If you're uncomfortable, you'll be tensed up and you'll probably expend some energy in that position. After a while, you'll just feel crappy and the sleep will come more naturally. Takes about an hour, though.

Perhaps you should also rub one out.

Quote Originally Posted by xagent View Post
    But that was 7 and a half hours ago
    Supposedly caffeine stays in your system up to 8 hours.

Dude ditch the caffeine, get off the internet, sleep in a cool dark room, and take some magnesium and zinc.

2 things that have done wonders for me.

1. a program called f.lux. If you use the PC before bed this is a must.

2. Melatonin - I was skeptical about whether or not it would work but it seems like every time I take 5 or 10mg I fall asleep much faster and wake up less through the night.

Quote Originally Posted by xagent View Post
    I have trouble sleeping. I workout in the evening or night... between 6 PM till 9 PM... I also take pre-workout supplements... This is after downing a huge post-workout meal, usually consisting of a half pound steak, a full can of beans or lentils or chili, and a protein shake w/ 16 oz. of whole milk... quite a heavy 1200+ calorie meal.
    This is quite the mystery, isn't it? You're obviously doing everything right: working out close to the time you want to sleep, taking stimulants, getting your heart rate and metabolism up and eating a large meal before bed. Yeah, all this is a surefire recipe for a restful night's sleep. Why oh why aren't you sleeping?

I'm just going to throw some things out there, and remember I'm just thinking out loud here: how's about you try not working out in the evening? How's about you try not taking stimulants close to bedtime? How's about you try not eating a large protein/fat based meal before going to bed?

Nah, fuck all that and just smoke the pot.
    Last edited by scotts; 10-26-2011 at 06:48 AM. Reason: spelling

starting strength coach development program
    I use an app similar to flux called Redshift (cos i have multiple screens and flux only works on the first one). It really does work.

Also, OP eating a big meal inhibits sleep, so may wanna eat it earlier or something, or just have a smaller dinner.

And lay off the stims too, probably.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast