starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Training the neck, high repetitions?

Default Training the neck, high repetitions?

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Hey all, lots of threads about training the neck but I have a particular question. It seems that the neck harness is commonly recommended to do around 4 sets with very high reps (25-50). Why is this? Do the neck muscles respond differently then most muscles?

I'm not sure but I think it's a question heavy triples not being particularly healthy for one's neck.

My understanding is that high reps forces you to use relatively light weights, which will be safer on the neck. Also, the higher rep range is more suited for hypertrophy, which is the main benefit (both practical and aesthetic) of neck training.

Quote Originally Posted by FKYT View Post
    My understanding is that high reps forces you to use relatively light weights, which will be safer on the neck. Also, the higher rep range is more suited for hypertrophy, which is the main benefit (both practical and aesthetic) of neck training.

Is it true that neck size doesn't matter? It's how it is used that matters most, i think.

Quote Originally Posted by SubZero View Post
    Is it true that neck size doesn't matter? It's how it is used that matters most, i think.
    Matter for what? looking awesome? not being knocked out? people not being able to choke you? not being considered fat by the military?

Quote Originally Posted by Carlos Daniel View Post
    Matter for what? looking awesome? not being knocked out? people not being able to choke you? not being considered fat by the military?
    For getting chiks.

Quote Originally Posted by SubZero View Post
    For getting chiks.
    Then I should be buried in pussy, as I have a 17 inch neck at 5'7.

Sorry, I guess I should have expanded more on my original question. As an accessory exercise, why is neck work normally done in 4 sets of 25-50 repetitions, as opposed to normal accessory work being done in the 3 set to 8-12 repetitions. Its just A LOT of extra repetitions as compared to what I normally see.

I'm asking from a martial art stand-point, as there seems to be a lot of anecdotal evidence out there by good fighters attesting that it helps you take SOME types of punches/be a little harder to get choked out. Regardless I'll be waiting to start training it until I finish my S.S. program, though I did use to do stuff like that for high school wrestling.

Quote Originally Posted by PerseusStoned View Post
    Sorry, I guess I should have expanded more on my original question. As an accessory exercise, why is neck work normally done in 4 sets of 25-50 repetitions, as opposed to normal accessory work being done in the 3 set to 8-12 repetitions. Its just A LOT of extra repetitions as compared to what I normally see.

I'm asking from a martial art stand-point, as there seems to be a lot of anecdotal evidence out there by good fighters attesting that it helps you take SOME types of punches/be a little harder to get choked out. Regardless I'll be waiting to start training it until I finish my S.S. program, though I did use to do stuff like that for high school wrestling.

8-12 reps is sufficient. ANything above 30 reps is silly.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by PerseusStoned View Post

I think it's ok to include it in SS if you want. Mind you, my neck grew a lot just from getting bigger and stronger. I mean, check out Karwoski's neck for instance.
    Last edited by Carlos Daniel; 12-11-2011 at 11:52 AM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast