starting strength gym

Thread: Feeling faint and light headedf only on Press work sets

Default Feeling faint and light headedf only on Press work sets

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Hi Mark, for the last month or so, when I get to my last warmup and then work sets on my Press, I feel very light headed and on the verge of passing out. MY vision starts swimming, my legs get weak and it's all I can do just to hold on to the bar. On my work sets (currently 71kg on TM) the feeling is almost instantaneous from the first rep. If I can push through, then by the 3rd or 4th rep the faintness is completely gone.

The problem is, i can rarely even get to the 3rd or 4th rep (attempting 5 reps of course) because of how heavy it is (71kg is my current amx and lifetime PR) and of course because i've struggled so hard with just holding the bar for the first 2 reps that I'm completely bushed and can't finish the set.

I've experiemented with eating more and less carbs beforehand, I tried a few deep breaths beforehand to attempt to purge the co2 in my body , I have tried with belt and without, all to no avail.

Do you have any suggestions? Thank's for any advice. Stats below

Male
    Age 29
    Height 6'2
    Weight 220#

Been on TM since september and have only moved my press from 67.5kg to 71kg for a set of 5. I have a great coach and have no reason to think my form is off, at least in any major way. Thanks!

It probably has something to do with your location in Equatorial Guinea. Do you have bilharzia? More importantly, are you trying to hold your breath for these first reps?

I can say I've been through that before. It comes and goes and is usually around when I get to heavy set of 5 or PR territory. The first two reps are almost blurry and I feel numb but somehow it is easier to press the bar as if the numbness makes me feel like the bar is less heavy. By the third rep I'm back to normal.

This happens to me sometimes. I suspect it has something to do with having to clean the weight first, though I have no specific reason for believing so. I see you're tall, maybe you also have to clean whatever you press. It helps if I rest a second after cleaning the weight, reset my breath and get my bearings before pressing it.

Quote Originally Posted by Cousin Bo View Post
    I can say I've been through that before. It comes and goes and is usually around when I get to heavy set of 5 or PR territory. The first two reps are almost blurry and I feel numb but somehow it is easier to press the bar as if the numbness makes me feel like the bar is less heavy. By the third rep I'm back to normal.
    I've had the exact same experience with presses and sometimes even heavy dips--a slight bit of syncope and numbness that actually made the lift seem effortless. It's a neat effect but who wants to celebrate a PR by passing out on the gym floor? I found the little reminder in the Faults and Corrections section of the new book; "release the pressure between each rep by taking a new breath" to be helpful. Perhaps those first two reps are are easy enough that you're blasting through them and not bothering to with the details of breathing.

OK So I have no idea why it says Equatorial Guinea - I'm actually in Sydney, Australia

I am breathing when I feel I need it, a very brief gulp at the top of the rep before I bring the bar back down. Usually on my work sets I don't take a breath until at the top of the 2nd rep.

Bo - If it was just numbness then it probably wouldn't be that bad, but the fact that I'm putting all my efforts into not falling over with that much weight takes a lot out of me!

starting strength coach development program
    If I were you I'd breathe between all my reps.