starting strength gym
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Dall Sheep Training

Default Dall Sheep Training

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    Dear Mark,

I'm a 29 yo 5' 10" geologist and gained a considerable amount of weight while working on my dissertation (263 lbs). I was on a ketogenic diet for 6 mo combined with walking and got to 205, and have began lifting 3 mo ago and am at 195. I began with a 30 day muscle and fitness beginner workout challenge, and then done stronglifts 5x5 for the past 2 mo. I've recently purchased your SS book and intend to do the program, and thank you for all your video content.
    I am training to go on a Dall Sheep Hunt in August 2018, so have 22 months to train. In this time I need to get in excellent physical shape. The hunt is supposed to be incredibly physically demanding and involves carrying a 130 lb pack, at altitude, uphill, 17 miles a day for 10 days. I am not a natural athlete and have not done anything physical for the past 10 years. I am not worried about aesthetics, but in addition to needing some serious strength, I also need incredible stamina, muscular endurance, and cardiovascular strength. Basically I have 22 months to become Superman. Marathon runners generally have trouble on these hunts despite great cardio. How do you recommend training for this? In your book it mentions running=YNDTP. Do I lift heavy for a year then worry about weight loss and cardio? How does an athlete combine strength training with their skill specific training? I understand being more muscular will not give a player the skills to catch a ball better, but make them physically better in all aspects. How do I gain the specific skills too, cardio and muscular endurance, in addition to the strength to complete this hunt.

It will be illegal to kill Dall Sheep by August 2018. And besides, what did a Dall Sheep ever do to you? Assuming you are still pissed enough at Dall Sheep to want to illegally kill one in 2018, train for strength until June, and then worry about the conditioning.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    It will be illegal to kill Dall Sheep by August 2018. And besides, what did a Dall Sheep ever do to you? Assuming you are still pissed enough at Dall Sheep to want to illegally kill one in 2018, train for strength until June, and then worry about the conditioning.
    Looks like that saying you have about getting a geology degree to help with critical thinking isnt universal.

And don't underestimate the sheep. They have been training all their life for this.

Craft buggers, sheep.

Search the board for military training advice, there's some good stuff to be found.

Basically, though, if you want to be good at heavy rucking, several months of progressively heavier and longer rucking prior to the hunt is the ticket.

Spend your time between now and then building a solid frame, i.e. Do the program.

Hi Rip,

Thank you for the response. The AK sheep season runs August through September, so I do not intend on being an outlaw. Regardless of what motivates me, this is what motivates me, and in that time I need to get in excellent condition. That sheep to me represents the ultimate bad-ass, and is what is driving me to get in the best shape possible. If a heavy strength regiment is what is required then I intend to spend a lot of time under the bar. I know regardless of how hard it is, that creature that scratches out an existence on a crag above the artic circle is bad-to-the-bone. That is what I want to be. Thank you for your help.

Poster, I have done some hiking and have expeience to share.Before strength training (i.e. Doing the Program) I used to hike fast and light. this limited my range on the mountain and was a bit of a safety concern because my light pack could not hold everything one should carry above tree line.

Why fast and light? I thought it was more of a stylistic preference but today I realize I was incapable of carrying a full ruck on my back; that is I was not strong enough to do so. Lack of strength made he decision for me. And it really limited me on the trail, what I could bring, where I could go, what I could cook and ear
    It ultimately prevented me from fully enjoying the great outdoors.

So, like Rip said, work on strength so that you are adapted to heavy loads. The conditioning will fall in place after that.
    Literally every set of squats, DLs, and Presses will get you there. Even cleans will help when you need to jump over a log or reach a new rock.

Good luck. You are asking the ight question. The answer is strength first, conditioning second.

Murelli Guest

While he's at it, OP could profit immensely from reading PPST, eat and sleep.

Quote Originally Posted by eifelian View Post
    Hi Rip,

Thank you for the response. The AK sheep season runs August through September, so I do not intend on being an outlaw. Regardless of what motivates me, this is what motivates me, and in that time I need to get in excellent condition. That sheep to me represents the ultimate bad-ass, and is what is driving me to get in the best shape possible. If a heavy strength regiment is what is required then I intend to spend a lot of time under the bar. I know regardless of how hard it is, that creature that scratches out an existence on a crag above the artic circle is bad-to-the-bone. That is what I want to be. Thank you for your help.
    Echo what others have said about seeking threads about military training, especially those that have spent years on end hunting creatures who scratch out an existence on rocky crags in Afghanistan.

starting strength coach development program
    Those concept 2 rowers are a great way to get in shape for hiking and mountaineering. No idea what Dall Sheep hunting looks like. But my fathers side of the family is from tyrol and I have carried 50+ lbs packs up the alps many, many times. A good aerobic base (and some strength) is important for stuff like that but 22 months is a looong time and your body adapts to hiking very quickly. But military surplus backpacks and a 25kg bag of sand are cheap and good training. If you have never carried a loaded backpack for several days it's probably a good idea to practice for a few months.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast