starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How Much Do We Need The Shoulder Press?

Default How Much Do We Need The Shoulder Press?

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    I'm now 50 years old, 6'3" and 250lbs.
    I started the SS program in Mar 2012 after 4 months on my butt following achilles surgery.

With occasional 'slips' in progress, by Sep/Oct 2012 I was DL-ing 170kg, Squating 132kg, Bench 97kg and Press 70kg. No Clean due to the achilles thing.

I joined a powerlifting club and they moved me off SS programming onto something I still don't quite understand called Westside. The press was dropped. Accessory exercises were included - which really helped my bench. Other Progress continued slowly.

I've just been away for 6 weeks and hit the gym yesterday. I did a basic SS workout and managed DL 130kg x5, Squat 100kgx5, Bench 80kgx5.

I'd like to get back to the club but want to restore my lifts to where they were first.

I'm wondering if I really need the press?

Given that it doesn't feature in the powerlifting meets, and my bench progress was better when I dropped it for other assistance exercises (eg: close grip bench, incline db bench) I wonder how necessary/useful it really is.

And since the bench is an exercise that could, potentially, be included in every workout - at least at my level - wouldn't I be better off sticking with that?

If the sole metric of the value of the press is its contribution to the bench press, then stop doing it, absolutely. And it's certainly easier to lay down when you press.

I feel like someone may have written an article about this recently.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    If the sole metric of the value of the press is its contribution to the bench press, then stop doing it, absolutely. And it's certainly easier to lay down when you press.
    Thank god for that. I'm dropping the Deadlift and squat too - thanks Mark ; )

I find that pressing without my shoulders helps prevent shoulder injuries.

Quote Originally Posted by JAT View Post
    I find that pressing without my shoulders helps prevent shoulder injuries.
    This is true. You cannot injure what you do not have.

Fast forward to when OP starts having shoulder problems...

As a former volleyball player who didn't train during my playing days, I've noticed a correlation between the lack of shoulder pain I have these days and my press. Weird.

I also notice a correlation between my improved balance and my adherence to squatting. Even more weird.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Campitelli View Post
    I feel like someone may have written an article about this recently.
    Dammit. Now I have to include it again.

Do rows and other similar movements not strengthen your rotator cuff muscles?

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by meetch View Post
    Fast forward to when OP starts having shoulder problems...

As a former volleyball player who didn't train during my playing days, I've noticed a correlation between the lack of shoulder pain I have these days and my press. Weird.

I also notice a correlation between my improved balance and my adherence to squatting. Even more weird.
    No hijack intention, but meetch - did you realize any additional vball carryover? I dropped out of my league for the winter so I can focus on 'teh strenght gainz'.

Note that, "I'm able to roof it at a beach court... outdoors" is an acceptable response.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast