starting strength gym

Thread: Strained Intercostals

Default Strained Intercostals

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    So, finally got back into the gym today after 5 or 6 weeks of being off and dealing with my skiing injury. Confirmed no breaks, nothing torn, discs are fine... just strained the shit out of my intercostals, which then caused a muscle in my back to get very knotted up. Soft tissue work has helped a lot.

Both areas, back and ribs, are still sore. This morning however I was able to get in and hit work sets of 245 x5x3 on squats with little to no pain in my back or ribs. It is AMAZING how much strength I have lost. 245 was not easy, and I am going to be sore as balls tomorrow. That is 90lbs off of my PR!

I tried bench at just 135, but the direct pressure on my back hurt a fair amount, so I called it a day. I might try incline bench on Sunday.

I assume icing would be helpful for both areas?

You will be able to tell us more than we can tell you. Getting hurt and then not training does make for performance regressions. Good luck on the road back.

Don't worry too much about the strength part just yet, it'll come. Getting strength back is much easier than gaining it in the first place.