starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: pemmican?

Default pemmican?

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    Coach,

I was wondering if you have ever used or recommended pemmican, such as the stuff shown in the following link, as a food to use during training:

http://www.grasslandbeef.com/Categor...ABeef+Pemmican

It sounds pretty gross, frankly, but from a nutrition standpoint it seems like it would be a good fit for the SS program.

Thanks.

Sounds exactly like pemmican to me. I don't normally post a lot of product links here, but this sounds interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Need2Lift View Post
    Coach,

I was wondering if you have ever used or recommended pemmican, such as the stuff shown in the following link, as a food to use during training:

http://www.grasslandbeef.com/Categor...ABeef+Pemmican

It sounds pretty gross, frankly, but from a nutrition standpoint it seems like it would be a good fit for the SS program.

Thanks.
    Damn, that stuff sounds fucked. Cherries and beef? And wasn't tallow historically reserved for candle production? Yeesh - the mind reels.

I like the "Pemmican Pail" delivery system, though. I can just see a handful of chalky, sweaty dudes at the gym, stuffing their fists into the pail for a boost. "Dude, pass the beef bucket!"

Aside from the cherries, though, why not just eat jerky? Save the tallow for lighting your homestead.

Does it taste like shit? It sounds like a Paleo Kit for men.

$3.50 for 20 grams of protein? And another $7.50 for "free" shipping?

They sell mackerel in Dollar General here, imported from China, for a buck a can. Each 15.5 oz. can has 78 grams and 500 calories. There is yellow chicken soup - like fat floating on the top, which I'm hoping is omega 3. The supermarket sells it at double, which is still 8 times cheaper than pemmican.

Of course with the mackerel you will have to add your own honey and cherries.

Have you immensely practical fuckers no sense of history?

Exclamation

If I may add, don't pig out on mackerel regularly, there's a decent amount of mercury in them big fish.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Have you immensely practical fuckers no sense of history?
    The historical record is pretty slim on Sitting Bull's back squat, if you wanna go that route.

Quote Originally Posted by David55 View Post
    $3.50 for 20 grams of protein? And another $7.50 for "free" shipping?

They sell mackerel in Dollar General here, imported from China, for a buck a can. Each 15.5 oz. can has 78 grams and 500 calories. There is yellow chicken soup - like fat floating on the top, which I'm hoping is omega 3. The supermarket sells it at double, which is still 8 times cheaper than pemmican.

Of course with the mackerel you will have to add your own honey and cherries.
    You're not actually eating a pound of cat food at a time are you?

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Kovtunovich View Post
    Damn, that stuff sounds fucked. Cherries and beef? And wasn't tallow historically reserved for candle production? Yeesh - the mind reels.
    Tallow was also used in shaving soaps (the kind you used a shaving brush for). Art of Shaving still uses tallow in their soaps.

Anyway, if I could buy a stick of this stuff off a shelf, I would give it a shot.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast