starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Archive article: Recovery and Growth

Default Archive article: Recovery and Growth

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025

Another great article with knowledge I wish I read when I was 18.

Amazing how hard it is for people to get this. We started a powerlifting club here and out of 20-30 people I can probably count on one hand the number of guys over 200+. In a PL club!

Quote Originally Posted by heavyiron8 View Post
    Another great article with knowledge I wish I read when I was 18.
    Same here. Better late than never.

You worry at night also eh! Problems are always magnified in the dark. My dear old dad would never go to sleep without the radio playing all night, blocked out the noise of the guns firing and the dying men in his dreams I guess. I knew a guy who was tank operator in Vietnam, could not sleep at night, he was on antidepressants, he use to hear the VC creeping around his house at night. They tried to put him in an MRI machine once and he went berserk. These were strong men and I mean physically tough, but the mind, well. Yes sir shit happens in the dark.

Limescale from bore water, leaves white spots on your truck when you wash it? You can get a device fitted to the incoming water supply that will stop lime scale build up. However that mineral water is probably better to drink then De-mineralised water you by in the shop.

Or you could get a rain tank fitted. Your gym with that large roof would have plenty of runoff. 200000 litre tank is a good place to start. State of Texas would probably have a subsidy for installing such as system as it takes pressure off the domestic water supply system. You could also divert the current hard water supply to the flushers, and showers and use the rain water for drinking. Still one sure fire way to cure limescale is retire to the coast, or move up to the high country and just drink good old rain water.

Why the hell do you want hang around the "Falls" anyway, you have been there long enough, let the young folk run the show, as you get older it becomes harder to move, then before you know it they put you in the old folks home. I am starting to scare myself. Better stop.

If you ever decide to release a SSBBT4, I think that Shoes article and this one should be inserted into it. These are the 2 most critical things that took my LP so far, and made me compliant with the program.

I left out the most important point that I was going to make about your article, troubled sleep does affect older folk, and one of the best ways to overcome this is to train, rigorous physical exercise is beneficial to a troubled mind. I know your point in this Recovery Growth article is to reach a goal of strength, however apart from the strength gained it also has an antidepressant effect on anxious minds. It is a pity that strength training is not given as an alternative to debilitating drugs. A visit to the gym may better than going to the mind doctor.

Diet is far harder for most than the lifting. I've gotten a good number of people to squat. I've gotten extremely few to eat enough to make the squat progress an appreciable amount.

"Better for you to get your squat up to 405 before you start timing your macronutrients and really “dialing in” your carbs."

This line alone would make all the difference to a person wanting to gain strength and as a byproduct look better. After a seminar with Rip I decided I needed to be much bigger than I was. (shocker, I know) For a number of months I focused only on gaining weight while hitting the program hard. Now, about 6 years later I put on nearly 40lbs and am considered a pretty big dude compared to what I was. Admittedly I got a bit of a milk belly but after coming off GOMAD, the BF quickly went away but the gains in lean muscle mass stayed. This article and points made cannot be stressed enough.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick L. View Post
    "Better for you to get your squat up to 405 before you start timing your macronutrients and really “dialing in” your carbs."

This line alone would make all the difference to a person wanting to gain strength and as a byproduct look better. After a seminar with Rip I decided I needed to be much bigger than I was. (shocker, I know) For a number of months I focused only on gaining weight while hitting the program hard. Now, about 6 years later I put on nearly 40lbs and am considered a pretty big dude compared to what I was. Admittedly I got a bit of a milk belly but after coming off GOMAD, the BF quickly went away but the gains in lean muscle mass stayed. This article and points made cannot be stressed enough.
    Did you lose strength while droping the BF? What program routine did you follow while cutting?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast