starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rounded Shoulders Interfering With SS Lifts

Default Rounded Shoulders Interfering With SS Lifts

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    Hello Rip,

I'm very much aware that corrective exercises is a waste of time, and I'm on board. I've spent money on the stuff and know first hand that it doesn't work, and its a waste of time and money. However, I still have what someone would call rounded shoulders.

Let me clarify; My shoulders almost seem as if they are shrugged up and forward. My arms seem permanently internally rotated. When I stand my thumbs are pointed inward towards one another. I realize this, and I have done stretches, corrective work, whatever you want to call it, and it doesn't work. But I have followed the SS progression on my own without coaching, and I still have this issue.

I can press without pain because I follow the form explained in SS to a cue, and I can get the barbell in correct position during the squat (though it is a huge challenge to keep the tightness in my back because my shoulders want to protrude forward), but the biggest issue is bench press.

When I bench press, my shoulders want to protrude forward immensely. I try to fix my posture during the day by standing up straight during the day, etc. But nothing seems to work.

I know that you warrant stretching if it is needed to reach the range of motion for the movements. However, what stretch or warm up would I do to get my shoulders to stay back and be normal. I want my thumbs to be naturally pointed forward. How do I keep my shoulders broad without having to force them to be?

I can do all the stretches in the world before I go to bed and my thumbs won't be completely pointed towards one another; however, when I wake up they will be.

When I walk during the day I try to keep my shoulders back, but it is a constant battle and seems not to work so much.

My scapula seems to wing out and not stay down and back.

What do you recommend?

Any tips or recommendations would be helpful, thanks!

Get your deadlift up to 500 and post again with an update.

Quote Originally Posted by matt_217 View Post
    I can do all the stretches in the world before I go to bed and my thumbs won't be completely pointed towards one another; however, when I wake up they will be.

When I walk during the day I try to keep my shoulders back, but it is a constant battle and seems not to work so much.

Changing postural habit is difficult and slow, it turns out. You've spent a lifetime accumulating and cementing the body habits that you are currently working against. They aren't just going to go away overnight.

However, "difficult and slow" is not the same as impossible.

I have a similar issue, have had for years. My right shoulder hangs lower than the left, and scapula wings out. Shoulders are rounded forward as well, but not that pronounced.

My deadlift is up to 500. In fact my only working theory as to what might have caused this (beyond PTs saying it's my use of the computer mouse with my right hand), is using a mixed grip on deadlift for several years. Now I use straps.

I do perform "corrective" exercises -- band pullaparts, scapular wall slides, handstand isometrics, etc -- but progress has been slow to non-existent. Any help or advice greatly appreciated.

A winging scapula is usually due to a neurological deficit regarding control of the serratus anterior muscle. Not related to posture.

I have had success with hanging from a bar, foam rolling the upper back, and shoulder dislocates. Take 5min before the session for this stuff, see if it helps. Had a recent client who was very tight. Helped his press ROM and bar position on the squat

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    A winging scapula is usually due to a neurological deficit regarding control of the serratus anterior muscle. Not related to posture.
    Not trying to be a thieving "that guy", but co-opting this thread seems to me to be less cumbersome than starting a new thread on a similar topic (though perhaps less courteous, as well). In regards to rounded shoulders and winging scapula, can bad form on the lifts exacerbate these aforementioned issues to a point where performing other lifts correctly becomes a problem or impossible? Personally, I'm having a hard time finding the shoulder shelf for the bar on the squat and I find this to be a bigger and more painful problem after a bench workout, the bench being a lift whose form I've very recently had to correct (touching too low on the chest). I've made an appointment with a neurologist to see whether or not I do have winged scapulae, but I want to do the best I can at all times. (Not that I'd slack on form if I could get away with it, mind you. Or maybe just a smidge.)

Oh! Recommendations for matt now that I'm here stealing his thread! Get a form check. Can't hurt.

How tall are you, and what do you weigh?

183cm and 93.1kg as of today (so 6'0 ish and 205lb ish).

starting strength coach development program
    Not skinny enough to have muscle mass problems under the bar.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast