starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Book on barbell as medicine?

Question Book on barbell as medicine?

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    Mark,

Is there ever going to be an authoritative SS book on injury prevention, management and rehabilitation?
    I mean, anybody who follows a good diet and lifts weights will eventually get strong one way or the other as long as they stick to a plan. Sub-optimally or otherwise. SS stands apart in that it is backed by scientific rigor and has been proven in practice multiple times, over a large range of injuries and age/gender groups

There could be, but it will require an MD to write it. Any suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    You got a laugh out of me. I am still kinda new around here and I don't know what happened to the nutrition book Jordan is supposed to publish.

Poster: Respectfully, I think this could be Rip's sarcasm, in that he is busy cranking out a new book for Masters lifters, and some really qualified MD's who are SSC's are pretty much addressing that issue on barbellmedicine.com as well as this forum. Trust me, I am not putting words in anybody's mouth, but Jordan and Baraki and a few other MD's are doing incredible work on this topic.

Go to med school, Mark? /s

Quote Originally Posted by Serack View Post
    You got a laugh out of me. I am still kinda new around here and I don't know what happened to the nutrition book Jordan is supposed to publish.
    Totally forgot about this until your post and I pre-ordered.

Didn't realize that MD was a requirement for such a book. I know that there are at least a couple of SSCs who are doctors. The reason I asked was that I noticed many ideas that become part of accepted medical practice are often deified and are put in practice unquestioned for decades, occasionally irrespective of their scientific merit. Even books of pop-medicine have loyal, if not cultish following. The tag "medical" is a very powerful one.

You think that "medicalizing" barbell training would increase blind allegiance to our methods? That's just what we need, Giri. You think we want to be like CrossFit?

You think that "medicalizing" barbell training would increase blind allegiance to our methods? That's just what we need, Giri. You think we want to be like CrossFit?
    I know people at some point were forced by their kings/governments to believe that Earth revolves around the Sun (and not the other way around) before the society in general understood the underlying physics well enough to criticize it and then improve upon it

starting strength coach development program
    You're forgetting that encouraging independent and critical thinking isn't, for reasons varied and sundry, exactly common or valued in our society at the moment.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast