starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1200 lb club conversation

Default 1200 lb club conversation

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Question - as a novice to lifting - I started for the first time in May of this year - I set my goal to make the 1200 lb club. I have made great gains in that area. Currently I am at 230/255/365. (bench/squat/DL all in lbs). These are my working sets. I lift within a power rack, by myself . . so I have no inclination to do 1RM. That being said feel free to comment to the nth degree on the following:

The designation for the each area of the 1200 lb club 300/400/500 is the 1RM correct? Not the working set?

If that is the case - -can you generally determine what your 1RM is by using your current 5RM for 3 sets? I know that there are calculators out there that take the pounds lifted by number of reps . .but that is a single set of reps. I can do more that 5 reps of 230 . .because with 90 second breaks in between sets . .I am pushing it up and down 15 times; yet it technically it isn't 15 consecutive reps. I am just trying to figure out where my "goal line" is for the 1200 lb club. Is it only when I do 300lb x1 . . is it 245 since I can do 10 reps? Or is it 235 because I can do 5 reps x 3 sets within a 4 minute time period? (those numbers are just made up examples - no method to them)

I used and online calculator here

http://www.exrx.net/Calculators/OneRepMax.html

to come up with the following. For you experienced guys - -do these numbers remotely reflect any accuracy?

Bench: 267 x 5 = 300lb 1RM
    Squat: 356 x 5 = 400lb 1RM
    DL : 445x5 = 500lb 1RM

Just wondering . . .. thanks for the input.
    Last edited by Brian Jones; 08-17-2012 at 08:16 AM. Reason: Added calculator numbers and link

No way of knowing, unless you're close like doing 405x5x3 aiming for 450, without testing. Just rest/go on vacation or something after so that you could get the LP rolling again.

Right, 1RM. Don't say you have a 1200 total if you can do X sets with Y pounds after Z amount of rest between sets. :-)

If you have a sturdy power rack, why not test yourself? Better yet, keep working to get your lifts up (resting longer than 90 seconds will keep you moving as it gets heavier) and enter a meet when you think your total might be close. Hell enter a meet when your total might be 900 and see how you like competeing and get a set of independently verified maxes to base your progress on.

Quote Originally Posted by niclane View Post
    Right, 1RM. Don't say you have a 1200 total if you can do X sets with Y pounds after Z amount of rest between sets
    Agreed, 100% My initial inclination all along has been just keep plugging and when my work set reached 300 in the bench - -cha-ching . .mark that one off . .. when it reaches 400 in the squat . .and so on . . I wanted to get a feel from others so I can gauge "when" I want to put it to the test . . .for example . .if I am at 265 for my work sets .. is that a reasonable time to try a 300lb 1RM?

I think I would like to enter a meet . .just to say I did it. . and I think it would be cool to go back to the rehabilitation hospital and show all those guys that you can achieve anything if you never give up . . I have looked into it, but I guess where I have never been around it . .finding a meet, a conference a whatever. .. is daunting . .so I just kind of said "heck with it" and figured I would go back later. I live in Kentucky . .am 44 . . I don't use any equipment other than a belt now and again . .and I definitely use no performance enhancing substances other than pork chops and coffee. Is there a certain federation or league where I could start looking for meet information?

squatsocks Guest

BBL... you can probably do something around 285 on bench, maybe 315-325 on squat, and around 425 on deadlift

if you can do 250 for 3x5 on bench, you could probably do 300 for 1 rep

Quote Originally Posted by squatsocks View Post
    BBL... you can probably do something around 285 on bench, maybe 315-325 on squat, and around 425 on deadlift

if you can do 250 for 3x5 on bench, you could probably do 300 for 1 rep
    Thanks Squatsocks - -I know I am not there yet . . I am interested in finding out the "ballpark" I should start seriously considering testing a 1RM for each lift - -for example - -you telling me that once I am doing 250 x 3 x 5 - -anytime after that I have a legit shot at attempting and hitting my 300lb 1RM. In your opinion what are the pounds x 3 x5 for the squat and deadlift to seriously start considering testing 400/500 1rm for each?

If you are still running your LP, just keep going. Technically, every time you get under the bar during your LP you are increasing your 1RM, so it makes 1RM testing kind of pointless and will only waste your time.

Testing your 1RM during an intermediate program makes a little more sense, especially in a program like 531 where there are programmed deloads, which make convenient 1RM testing times. Well, often it's a case of ego-stroking (at least for me) but still is a useful psychological exercise, and if you set these benchmarks for yourself then it's fucking satisfying to see it happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Motorschweitz View Post
    If you are still running your LP, just keep going. Technically, every time you get under the bar during your LP you are increasing your 1RM, so it makes 1RM testing kind of pointless and will only waste your time.

Testing your 1RM during an intermediate program makes a little more sense, especially in a program like 531 where there are programmed deloads, which make convenient 1RM testing times. Well, often it's a case of ego-stroking (at least for me) but still is a useful psychological exercise, and if you set these benchmarks for yourself then it's fucking satisfying to see it happen.
    I am right there with you Motor . . that is why I figured I would just accept entry into each portion of the club (300/400/500) as it became my workset. But I see as my PRs continue to climb . .I am getting greedy . . and I want to quantify what I am doing ten different ways . .total volume, 1200 lb club, blah blah blah . .. funny how much the mind becomes involved. Ego, ego, ego.

This is a great place to start for finding a meet. http://www.powerliftingwatch.com/ I just did my first meet and totalled exactly 1200.
    455 squat, 245 bench, 500 DL- the calculators are somewhat helpful but if you want to be good at singles you have to do singles. We brought 7 people from my gym to the meet and two of the girls decided they wanted to do the meet at the last minute so they had only been doing 5s. We had one training day to try and get them acclimated to heavier weights. They had a little trouble with the bench and squat because of the eccentric part of the movement with a heavier weight was so new to them- bar came down a little fast and not as controlled.

I highly recommend doing a meet.

Depending on how progressed you are there probably isnt a big difference between your 5rm and your 3x5. For me its a rep or two, possibly three on some days. If you feel you had another rep use 6 reps in the calculator to see where it puts you. As you said just because the calculator says X doesnt mean you can do X but it is interesting to look at and gives you an idea. I have used one that gives you a range and I find it to be accurate.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian_Broke_Legs View Post
    I am right there with you Motor . . that is why I figured I would just accept entry into each portion of the club (300/400/500) as it became my workset. But I see as my PRs continue to climb . .I am getting greedy . . and I want to quantify what I am doing ten different ways . .total volume, 1200 lb club, blah blah blah . .. funny how much the mind becomes involved. Ego, ego, ego.
    Yeah, try not to lose momentum from your LP, it's a unique time and fun to feel yourself getting stronger. There are already too many other things that can interfere with the LP, like getting sick, or having a shitty night's sleep, or work stress, that can lead to delayed progress. BTW, if you can roll to those workset numbers on a 3x5 LP, great job.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast