starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Progressing lifting with DBs

Default Progressing lifting with DBs

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Hey all, so long story short, due to school considerations I don't have access to a rack or bench, so I am having to use Dumbbells for my benching. The issue I've got is that the dumbbells I have access to jump from 75 to 85 to 95. I can rep the 75s for ten due to my overall strength, but I can't get the 85s off of my chest because my arms shut down because it feels too heavy. Any suggestions for getting used to the heavier ones? I've only been DB benching for 2-3 weeks, so I assume it's a lack of stabilizer muscles and that they will build up over time, but anything more specific would be great.

P.S.- I'm neutral grip benching so that I will have better carryover to BB bench when I go back, and my form is good.

Quote Originally Posted by enlightenedsnipe View Post

P.S.- I'm neutral grip benching so that I will have better carryover to BB bench when I go back, and my form is good.
    Neutral grip (parallel grip) has less carry over to barbell benching, but allows greater ROM and is a little friendlier on the shoulders.

In terms of your 85lb DB's, have you tried cheating them up? if you can ten rep the 75's with good controlled technique the 85's should be a piece of cake. Cheat up the first rep and the rest should be easy. If you definitely cannot manage, keep working with the 75lb ones, doing more difficult movements like one arm benching, extra wide grip and deeper range (like a pseudo fly or even full fly if you can manage), inclines, standing DB push press, tricep extensions/skullcrushers etc. The 85's will soon become easy, you can also microload the 75's by sticking anything moderately heavy to them.

Thanks man. I've tried single arm DB benching the past few days and it's killer on the stabilizers, so I had debated working that into the rotation. I'm following a loose repetition day monday, shoulder press wednesday, heavy day friday setup, so I'll work in those variants and see how my support strength progresses.

I tried overhead work as well, and had the same support problem with my left side (it's weaker, shockingly enough) I was able to C&J up to a 100 pound DB on the right side, but couldn't get past 85 on the left due to a feeling off instability when supporting it.

I'll keep hammering on it and give it some time. I appreciate the advice.

75s to 85s is a pretty big jump. I would go for more reps, at least 12. Is 10 for sets across?

The issue I've got is that the dumbbells I have access to jump from 75 to 85 to 95. I can rep the 75s for ten due to my overall strength
    Before taking anything Dastardly says remotely seriously, you should note this:

Quote Originally Posted by Dastardly View Post
    Dumb bell parallel grip bench press; 30kg (per hand) 2 reps
    So basically you rep more than the fragile little buttercap can barely manage for a double. In other words:

75x10
    66x2

I'd suggest ignoring all the random bullshit he posted.

How many sets of 10 are you doing? You might want more volume. Maybe hit something like 5x10, maybe more (12s like unclean suggests)

The flyes or pseudo flyes will achieve the most I think in terms of getting you to 85 the fastest.

I repped the 75s for 12 on a single set two days ago. I had done them for 8 reps max before. I was thinking about trying multiple sets (currently doing a single backoff at higher reps) at 75 over the next several weeks. I agree that once I get up to 75x3x10 I should have built up the strength to make the jump.

I repped the 75s for 12 on a single set two days ago. I had done them for 8 reps max before. I was thinking about trying multiple sets (currently doing a single backoff at higher reps) at 75 over the next several weeks. I agree that once I get up to 75x3x10 I should have built up the strength to make the jump.
    Yeah, that is what I would do. You could do 3x10 or ramping sets. If you went ramping, the last set would have to be 15+ reps to make sure you could do a 20lb jump. You could even do 2x5, 1x5+ all at the same weight. But again, you would have to blow the last set out of the water to make that work.

Thanks Callador! I'm thinking I'll do 6,6, AMRAP and then add 1-2 reps to the first two sets as long as the last one stays at 10.

Something higher rep like
    M- 5x10 with 60s.
    W- Press, accessory stuff (light)
    Fri- 6,6,AMRAP with 75s.

That should build me up to 3x10 in a month and a halfish. Then there will probably be a long while getting used to the 85s before I can move up again.

starting strength coach development program
    Keep in mind you don't have to jump completely over to 85s in one go. Suppose you get 75s up to 5 sets of 8. Or whatever set/rep range you choose. You could then introduce 85s for the first set only. Might look something like 85x4, 75x4x8. Once the first set hits 8 reps you could then up the second set to 85 and so on. I do like the idea of a final set amrap too.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast