starting strength gym

Thread: Benefits of Middle-Aged Fitness

Default Benefits of Middle-Aged Fitness

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    This is an epidemiological study as reported by a newspaper, therefore 80% likely to be bullshit. But I'm linking to it anyway because I want to believe it.

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/0...ss/?ref=health
    The adults who’d been the most fit in their 40s and 50s often developed many of the same conditions, but notably their maladies appeared significantly later in life than for the less fit. Typically, the most aerobically fit people lived with chronic illnesses in the final five years of their lives, instead of the final 10, 15 or even 20 years.
    Here's wishing a strong happy old age for us all, followed by a mercifully brief final illness!

I agree with this article, but would also like to point out that being relatively fit also helps one respond better to the stresses of treatments for inevitable disease. Here are more benefits of fitness and how it reduced risk for many diseases.

Quote Originally Posted by cwd View Post
    This is an epidemiological study as reported by a newspaper, therefore 80% likely to be bullshit. But I'm linking to it anyway because I want to believe it.

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/0...ss/?ref=health

Here's wishing a strong happy old age for us all, followed by a mercifully brief final illness!
    That's a good reason.

A better reason--enjoying the look on the kiddies' faces in the gym when you squat twice what they do.

Oh Hells yes. I really like this.

Quote Originally Posted by John Bono View Post
    A better reason--enjoying the look on the kiddies' faces in the gym when you squat twice what they do.
    Thanks for pointing that out. Now I know I'm not the only one who enjoys having his old ego stroked in this way.

starting strength coach development program
    I shouldn't be but I am "that guy" at my tiny gym at the times that I train. It is rather nice when, once and a while at least, people stop to watch me bench. For some reason, though, heads never turn when I press. It must be because pressing is so unusual that they don't know how tough it is to moose that bar overhead. Re: the OP, I have had the sniffles once in the three years that I have been back in the gym. Strong = healthy.