starting strength gym

Thread: Is my back hyperextended?

Default Is my back hyperextended?

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    Hello,

I was just wondering if anyone can let me know whether or not I am hyperextending during my deadlifts. I can't tell if I am setting my back in extension or if its in hyperextension.

Should I try to get it slightly more neutral like a 2 x 4 and brace my abs down more? I feel like I am just squeezing my chest up as hard as possible and not bracing my abs.

Also wanted to ask: should I start with my hips slightly higher?

By the way, I used this video for another post but it was regarding different questions. I hope that is acceptable in the Starting Strength forums.

http://youtu.be/wiHHouAloHo

Thank you for your help and time,
    Joel

Looks good in the starting position. Be careful not to over-extend at the top. You're snapping upright very forcefully, and that's where you may find yourself prone to hyper extension.

I'm not seeing a problem now though.

Joe, It looks good except for the whiplash at the top.

Brodie Butland is offline Starting Strength Coach
    Consigliere

Quote Originally Posted by joelk511 View Post
    Hello,

I was just wondering if anyone can let me know whether or not I am hyperextending during my deadlifts.
    As already observed, you are at the top...but you're fine in the middle.

Should I try to get it slightly more neutral like a 2 x 4 and brace my abs down more? I feel like I am just squeezing my chest up as hard as possible and not bracing my abs.
    You should definitely be bracing your abs hard, in addition to extending your lower back. If you're not bracing your abs hard now, that's something you should start doing.

Also wanted to ask: should I start with my hips slightly higher?
    Yes. After you bend your knees to touch your shins to the bar, your hips should stop moving down. You have a tendency to drop them a little further when you pull your chest up. It's not terrible, but it's something to work on as you continue to progress.

You'll know you're doing it right when the pull suddenly feels a lot shorter.

By the way, I used this video for another post but it was regarding different questions. I hope that is acceptable in the Starting Strength forums.
    You can tell them that Consigliere preliminarily approved the practice, pending any further explanation as to why it could cause problems.

However, don't be a douche and delete the video later on. We've seen that occur from time to time.