starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Belt width for taller lifters

Post Belt width for taller lifters

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    Mark, I read your latest article regarding the belt and deadlifting and have a question. You stated "Unless you're tall or long-waisted, a 4-inch-wide standard power belt is too wide to permit a correct lumbar position".

What is your experience with lifters around 6'3"? Do you think I can get away with a 4" belt?

Mike

Can't see you from here, Mike. People have different dimensions, even at 6'3". Does the regular belt work or not? You have a belt now, right? Was the article unclear?

Understood. I don't own a belt but have wanted to use a store credit I have at Rogue to get one. Unfortunately, they do not make a 3" version. I’ll likely look at the best belts you recommended. I was just wondering if your 3” recommendation was valid for the 6’ and over crowd.
    I have zero experience lifting with a belt.

Thanks

Just start with a 4" from Rogue, and if it doesn't fit, buy a Best.

I'm around 6'3 and I can't comfortably wear my 4inch belt with a locked lower back. Tried turning it backwards like some people suggest and it was worse.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Just start with a 4" from Rogue, and if it doesn't fit, buy a Best.
    The 4" will probably work great for squats, even if it doesn't for deads. Since you don't have a belt, I think you will be surprised out how great squatting feels with one.

Also 6'3" here. I have a 4" Best Belt that I have used for squats and DL. It's great for squats but it pinches a bit and shifts when I bend over to get set for a DL. It helps but I think i could get a better fit.

After reading Rips article on belts I decided to get a 3" Best belt for DL. Waiting for it to be delivered.

I am 6'3 as well, with a long torso...I have been using a 4inch belt to DL, and DL's have never felt really good to me. I have been doing them with no belt since I saw that article and I feel much better, although I am doing much lighter weights right now. So either the belt wasn't a good size for me, or there is something up with my form, which I will be able to correct in houston in feb WOOT WOOT. When i work up to a heavier weight with no belt I might be able to draw more of a conclusion.

I've got a 4" belt from Rogue for $50 last year. It's almost perfect for squats (maybe just a bit too wide), and the quality is great. Feels too wide for DL, but still allows doing them correctly. The 2.5" version from Best feels a bit too narrow even for DL for me, plan purchasing 3" eventually. I'm 5'7" (probably with average proportions).

starting strength coach development program
    I'm 6'2" and for about a year used a 4" Best Belt exclusively. It feels great squatting, but would sometimes pinch the front of my hip when setting up for DL. At some point I felt like I wasn't really locking my lower back when setting up and orderd a 3" belt. The switch initially felt strange cause the smaller belt felt like it was digging in more, but I'm getting used to it now and I definitely feel like I can set up better. If you're going to order 1 belt, I would recommend the 4" and see how it feels for DL. For heavy singles or triples on DL it will probably be fine, but for heavier sets of 5 the bigger belt can really dig into your hips at setup.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast