starting strength gym

Thread: Power Clean Problem

Default Power Clean Problem

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    I would preface this with a video, but my gym apparently doesn't allow recording devices, I have no access to another gym, and I can't buy my own weights until after I've left home. Anyway, bitching aside, here's my question:

Whenever I do Power Cleans, I can generally get my feet to land even with each other (so no lateral splitting as yet), but after each rep, they're wider than they were in the starting stance. I'm attempting to correct this, and was wondering if anyone (Coach Rippetoe in particular, obviously) could offer any advice on doing so.

If your starting position stance is correct, your finish stance is supposed to be wider than where you started, so you're fine. A pulling stance out to a squatting stance is normal. But what kind of a gym doesn't allow recording devices? Yelling I've heard of, but no recording devices??? Are they afraid of the threat of blackmail? Why might this be?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    But what kind of a gym doesn't allow recording devices? Yelling I've heard of, but no recording devices??? Are they afraid of the threat of blackmail? Why might this be?
    Its a sexual harrasment thing. Some gyms have a no phone policy, on account of camera phones and such.

Default Show me your...

Hey Mark,

I didn't catch if there was any sarcasm in your "no recording devices?" comment, so apologies in advance if I missed it.

My gym doesn't allow recording devices either due to the fact that some people might take the liberty of filming unsuspecting hot women doing exercises while bent over, etc. and they end up on YouTube. With the zooming capababilities of cameras you can imagine how interesting that becomes. Unfortunately, like so many other stupid rules in this country, it comes down to preventing law suits and protecting people's fragile dispositions.

It's pretty easy to get around the vidoe rule, though. Just set up your camera under your towel and go for it; preferably during non-peak hours. If a staff member tells you that you can't film in the gym tell them that you're filming one set at the request of your doctor for medical screening. That should do it.

KC

I've heard of this. I don't know the thinking either. Maybe to prevent voyeurism.

That seems to be the consensus. I guess I have to take the cameras out of my Ladies' room here at the gym, huh?

starting strength coach development program
    I wish to Sweet Jesus my gym would institute a mandatory deodorant policy...some of the dirt bags reek of BO bad enough to even overpower my milk death farts!?