starting strength gym

Thread: I don't need no stinkin' ACL

Default I don't need no stinkin' ACL

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    I'm 63 and had ACL reconstruction 22 years ago - screw and staple in/around my knee. In the last 10 years I've sensed a skosh of instability. For example, going down stairs I would be just a bit more tuned in to stepping down with that leg. Yeah, as you might guess, I've always done the leg extensions and leg curls on the machines.

Started SSBBT3 about 3 months ago. Knee getting stronger, instability better but I've been thinking maybe an ortho checkup to see if anything has worked loose, or come undone, so to speak.

Then, somewhere on this Forum, I see you (Rip) have no ACL! Also, in SSBBT3, Page 18, "...athletes who are missing an ACL can safely squat heavy weights..."

Well, Rip, you just saved me the hassle of another checkup and possible surgery, the hassle of rehab, and losing a few weeks training and linear progression.

THANK YOU!

I ruptured my right ACL graft about 5 years after I got it. It's been fine in the gym, but it is unstable, and is the reason I got out of the horse business. You can train everything under the bar, but be careful with lateral motions, especially performed explosively.

Roger that, on the lateral motion. Thanks again.