starting strength gym

Thread: Chronic low back pain since deadlifting, MRI normal - not sure what to do

Default Chronic low back pain since deadlifting, MRI normal - not sure what to do

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    Hi,

I injured my lower back in late July after deadlifting.

For a couple days after, pain was severe. I could barely bend over or lean forward. After a week or so, pain reseated somewhat but has been constant ever since. Currently, it's not severe. It's not ruining my life. But it is noticeable and annoying, especially when I lean or bend forward.

It's located very low--right around where a belt would sit with a pair of jeans. It's centered, not just on one side. And I have no radiating symptoms. No numbness. No weakness. No leg pain. If I had to take a stab at describing it, it feels like there are a bunch of wires back there, and they all got kind of crossed/tangled/torn/tight, if I bend over and get into position as though I were about to pick up a barbell.

I've continued exercising, but stopped movements that load the back, including squats and deadlifts.

In late August, I first saw my doctor. He told me to use heat and Aleve. Neither helped.

In September, I saw a physical therapist. He said it was probably a bulging disc. He had me do back bends and push presses. They didn't help. He said he was stumped and sent me to a chiropractor.

The chiropractor said my pelvis wasn't properly aligned. One of my legs was almost an inch shorter than the other. He did some manual adjustments. They helped, for about a day and a half. Then pain came back. The chiro did a couple more adjustments and then told me it was time to try oral steroids, and then an MRI.

I went back to my doctor to get a prescription for Prednisone. I went on Prednisone for 2 weeks earlier this month. The steroids perhaps helped a little bit. I took them with breakfast, and pain reseated somewhat by the afternoon. But it was back the next morning before I took the steroids again, every day. And it was back as soon as I cycled off the Prednisone.

My doctor finally ordered an MRI. The MRI shows nothing. Everything is normal.

I get the feeling that I've stumped every medical professional I've seen, and the uncomfortable realization that I might now have annoying, but also not life-destroying, low back pain for life.

What options do I have now? Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

These articles and video may be of some value to you. i would highly recommend you go see a coach to iron out your technique on your squat and deadlift. If you can’t see one, post in the SS Q&A.

Back Pain and Back Strength | Mark Rippetoe

Aches and Pains | Austin Baraki

YouTube

Thanks for your response and the links. I will try these suggestions, which seems to boil down to start back [responsibly] on Squats and Deadlifts again. It’s absolutely worth trying.

It's possible that starting again and strengthening my back with these exercises is the true therapy I need. Perhaps I'll be back in a month or so feeling better than ever, and incredibly relieved. And I'm also aware from browsing this forum today of the Starr rehab method, which I may start with. I have to admit, I'm a little skeptical, though. I'm only 27. And while I hear the argument that most people experience low back pain/ it's fairly normal and common as we age, especially for lifters, the fact is that before July 24th I didn't have low back pain when bending forward, at all. But on and after I went too heavy/did too many reps on deadlifts on July 24th, I did. That overnight change still makes me think I did something unfortunate to myself.

The rehab protocol works well....with good technique. I would highly recommend you book a session with a starting strength coach to go over the lifts, even if you’re a few hours away. It will be well worth it. Based on what you said, in my opinion, it sounds more muscular than anything and that technique is probably an issue and that you need to train

In addition to what was said above and the links, check Alan Thrall video: YouTube
    The same thing that happened to him and you happened to me. Getting out of bed was torture for a couple of days. At the 3rd day I DL 135 x 3s x 5r and for the next session I DL 185 x 3s x 5r. In a week's time I was back at it right where I left when I got injured. For a couple of training sessions I felt a very minor discomfort that eventually disappeared. It works man...

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Brice View Post
    I'm only 27. And while I hear the argument that most people experience low back pain/ it's fairly normal and common as we age, especially for lifters, the fact is that before July 24th I didn't have low back pain when bending forward, at all. But on and after I went too heavy/did too many reps on deadlifts on July 24th, I did. That overnight change still makes me think I did something unfortunate to myself.
    As suggested in the above articles, just start doing the lifts again as light as you need to. Add a little weight to the bar each time and this will get better over time. Also address the leg length discrepancy:

Leg Length Discrepancy | Mark Rippetoe

And here's the thing. I also injured my back very badly when I was 27 after having essentially zero back issues up until that point. I was in significant pain on a daily basis. I was confused, annoyed and felt basically helpless. It took me 18 months of feeling sorry for myself before finally getting under the bar again. Looking back on it now I should have been back in the gym after a week. Part of it is just understanding that this situation is actually common and happens to a lot of people. Its how you deal with it that will define you.