starting strength gym

Thread: Squat form check

Default Squat form check

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    Here are the basics:
    32 y/o, ~230lbs, 8 workout into the SS program.

Looking for a critique on my squat. Looks a little shallow to me, but hoping that improves as my hamstring flexibility does. My lower back feels like it rounds at the bottom, but doesn't look like it on video. Still working through my shoulder ROM, so that's still messing with what my wrists look like.

Set 1 200X5 (SFW)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IU7fmMj_WQ8

Set 2 200X5 (SFW)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zn295BU3V3E

Set 3 200X5 (SFW)

John,
    You are lifting with your toes that will shift the weight forward and it will put massave strain on the lower back. Big suggest to you, please buy new shoes those are running shoes your wearing its not stable enough on the ground.
    Get a hard flat sole shoes, such as chuck taylors ALL STAR!. There cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by tamvvtli View Post
    John,
    You are lifting with your toes that will shift the weight forward and it will put massave strain on the lower back.
    I don't know what the above quote means, but you are definitely doing weird things with your feet prior to initiating your squat. Keep your feet flat on the ground. You also have the very common problem of knees sliding forward/weight shifting forward to the toes at the bottom. Depth is borderline.

Read or reread Rip's article on The Active Hip. Also, consider these suggestions for filming better form checks.

Chucks are better than running shoes. Real weightlifting shoes are better still and will likely help with some of your squat issues.

Thanks for the input. Chucks are in the mail.