starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dead Lift and Wimpy Hand Strength

Default Dead Lift and Wimpy Hand Strength

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    I'm 57 and have gotten to my dead lift weight such that I can't hold the bar more than four reps. I don't want to use wraps to help as I'd like to develop better hand strength. Any thoughts or tools you use to help that along?

Alternating grip or double-overhand? Assume you're using chalk?

I have used the alternating grip and it helps. No chalk as l I work out at my local Y and they have none. I think I'll get my own and give that a shot. It may very well help.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveL View Post
    I have used the alternating grip and it helps. No chalk as l I work out at my local Y and they have none. I think I'll get my own and give that a shot. It may very well help.
    You know what they say, Steve. Chalk is cheap.

I'd definitely get some chalk. I get the stuff from Z-Athletic (no financial interest) on Amazon. It's $5.50 and free shipping. Chalk comes in a sock, in a ziplock. I then put it in a larger freezer ziplock to double contain it. This was more for when I was lifting in a gym away from home, as I would apply it by sticking my hands down in the larger bag and chalk up in there. Then all I had to do was wipe the bar down after use. Now, it is a bit more necessary since I lift in my garage, which is located in the NE Houston area. This helps keep the humidity from saturating it so much. Also, some farmers carries may help out as far as grip strength.

Alternating grip does more than "help". It adds nearly 100kg (~220 lbs) to my deadlift (along with chalk of course).

I'm new to this game and was amazed at what a little chalk can do to improve things.

you can try liquid chalk also which might help at a place like the Y. I've made my own a few times now and it works great. Grinding up the chalk is the only terrible part. I use a window screen to grind it into a large bowl. Then I take 2 cups of the ground up powder and mix it in a shaker cup with 1 cup of rubbing alcohol. Then I transfer it to an old 32 oz bottle which I use to refill a 3oz bottle I bought from Walgreens.

It's interesting that grip strength doesn't progress at the same rate as deadlift strength, isn't it? More directly to the OP's question, the CoC (Captains of Crush) grippers are pretty cool. They make lovely paperweights when you're not crushing them.

starting strength coach development program
    Joe: I looked at that CoC and have no clue what weight to buy. Any thoughts? I started out my dead lift at 165 and now I'm to 245 so not all that high. I had to work out form issues to keep from hurting my back. Oh and others my chalk came in the mail today so I'll have that for next time. Thanks for the advice!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast