starting strength gym

Thread: Deadlifting with Osgood Schlatter

Default Deadlifting with Osgood Schlatter

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    So I have Osgood Schlatter, and I've had it for quite a few years. Its slowly getting better but I've only seen improvement on my left knee. I've had it since 8th grade and Im almost 20 now, so 6 years of it. I want to deadlift but keeping the bar on my shin kills me. I currently only deadlift with 35lbs on each side, as I just started and also cant do perfect form. What can I do to do this? My bar does not go vertical in a straightline I have to push it out a bit before locking out.

You have to learn how to deadlift correctly. This is the first step. Then you have to learn how to deadlift correctly without hitting your tibial plateau with the bar.

What is Osgood Schlatter? A google search just left me confused. The search says that symptoms include pain and a bony knob below the knee. I have the bony knob on both legs but don't remember having pain when I was growing up. The knob can be painful when being hit but getting hit with a weight usually hurts so I have never read anything into it.

So is the bony knob just being a red herring?

Also, your statement about not hitting the tibial plateau implies that the bar loses contact with the leg. Is the standard for "correct" bar path then just a straight line with weight over mid-foot?

Is anyone else disappointed to find out that Osgood Schlatter is not a Teutonic Deadlifting Beast who blessed the OP with his presence during a morning coaching session, followed by an afternoon Bierstube rampage? 'Cuz that's what I was expecting.

That said, KingEddy, I hope you listen to Rip and get your form worked out. That is key.

Mark, I have been doing the form as par the book, feet first then grip then pull with the bar attached to your legs. However that is where the problem happens, I cant keep the bar on my legs as thats when the osgood bumps start hurting. The way I've been deadlifting is do everything but lift up a little bit in front of my shins so I go pass the bumps

Video?

Quote Originally Posted by KingEddy View Post
    So I have Osgood Schlatter, and I've had it for quite a few years. Its slowly getting better but I've only seen improvement on my left knee. I've had it since 8th grade and Im almost 20 now, so 6 years of it. I want to deadlift but keeping the bar on my shin kills me. I currently only deadlift with 35lbs on each side, as I just started and also cant do perfect form. What can I do to do this? My bar does not go vertical in a straightline I have to push it out a bit before locking out.
    OS is a disease of childhood. In 2 years, you will forget anything was ever wrong with your knee. Rarelydoes it cause any problems after the age of 21.

starting strength coach development program
    In the meantime, soft drink bottle shin guards