starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1:st Squat Check from Da Nang - Vietnam

Default 1:st Squat Check from Da Nang - Vietnam

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    Hello,

Long time rookie here, started with SS a few years ago, climbed out of novicelevel and reached intermediate on most lifts compared to my bodyweight, the last few years i have again dropped down to 55kg+ due to studies and bad motivation for training. Just getting back on track here in Vietnam and would like some input on particularly my squat.
    I can't really tell if it's the weight that is heavy for me or i'm missing some ques but its a heavy weight for me (bar 7kg, total 82kg)

I'm 1,76m and weigh 60kg this is the third set.

36degrees and interesting music in my gym

I'd die, training in that climate. :P Hopefully you have AC in the gym though?

Here's some things I noted down when watching this. Others can surely give better feedback but hopefully it can help:

- Your back looks a bit too vertical, which means you're not involving the stronger hip muscles enough to help out with the weight.

- Don't rush that much on the descent. Think of it as a waiting game, until you hit depth and it's time to explode up.

- Your stance looks very wide, compared to your feet position. Try experimenting with taking them in or turning them out.

- It's hard to see from this angle but are your knees caving in during the ascent?

- Also hard to judge from this angle – are you hitting full depth? Looks a bit shallow but that might just be the video.

Default No AC!

Hello, thanks for the fast response. Had my increase today to 82kg and i went through the things you mentioned as follows:

Quote Originally Posted by athlegan View Post
    - Your back looks a bit too vertical, which means you're not involving the stronger hip muscles enough to help out with the weight.
    - Don't rush that much on the descent. Think of it as a waiting game, until you hit depth and it's time to explode up.
    Agreed, i moved the bar a bit down and felt almost like i was "stuck in the hole" but was more fulfilling coming up!

- Your stance looks very wide, compared to your feet position. Try experimenting with taking them in or turning them out.
    - It's hard to see from this angle but are your knees caving in during the ascent?
    Yes! My knees cave in sometimes during the last few reps and I have to remind myself to keep them out, I am aware of this, but is that something I need to be worried about?

- Also hard to judge from this angle – are you hitting full depth? Looks a bit shallow but that might just be the video.
    That is most likely the angle, never had difficulty reaching depth, but I consider it today and almost got stuck down there *laughs*

Regarding the heat, I think it actually helps to be constantly warm, never risk getting "cold" between exercises and no, no AC available so 36+ outside = 36 degrees inside!

Didn't have a partner today so no video, but will make a new one as soon as I'm able to get someone that understands enough English to not film me from weird angles :-P

Let's get the big ones out of the way first:

1. Bar position- too high. Get it down just below the spine of your scapula.
    2. Back angle- you are keeping your back angle vertical. Cue: Point your chest at the floor
    3. Feet- heels in a little closer, toes pointed outwards at about 30 degrees.

So far, you've been doing high bar squats at above parallel. You will need to get your feet and the par position on your back fixed... then you will need to fix your back angle. This is critical to performing the low bar back squat correctly.

Post again, and if you can... take the video at hip height... 45 degrees from the rear.
    Last edited by David A. Rowe; 06-29-2016 at 06:49 AM.

define "your" gym. Is that a commercial gym, or your house? just curious.

Also, I see the socked feet on tile, one would think you could slip like that. Just saying.
    Either get weightlifting shoes, or go barefoot if no shoes. socks seem dangerous

Quote Originally Posted by Evicos View Post
    Yes! My knees cave in sometimes during the last few reps and I have to remind myself to keep them out, I am aware of this, but is that something I need to be worried about?
    Only if you like being able to continue squatting without pain.

�� on getting a new video.

Default Defining gym.

Quote Originally Posted by MBasic View Post
    define "your" gym. Is that a commercial gym, or your house? just curious.

Also, I see the socked feet on tile, one would think you could slip like that. Just saying.
    Either get weightlifting shoes, or go barefoot if no shoes. socks seem dangerous
    It's a very small commercial gym close to my apartment here in Da Nang they differ greatly from gyms in the west so to speak, i can take some more pictures if it helps (and also satisfy potential curiosity) but mostly I just stay in this corner with the barbell and me.
    Yeah the tiles could be slippery but don't have access to shoes (not allowed) and the socks actually help to get some grip on the tiles better than without anyways, i can do the next set shirtless and without socks to clarify the positioning as well. Thanks for caring!
    Last edited by Evicos; 06-29-2016 at 10:25 AM. Reason: Clarity

The other posters will fix your form, but . . .

The shoes thing? . .. like as in, that typical Asian tradition thing where you have to leave your 'dirty shoes' at the door?

Most lifters (serious lifters) only wear their weightlifting shoes on the platform or in the gym.
    Usually bring them separate from their street walking shoes. . . .in the gym bag.
    Putting the WL'ing shoes on to lift or squat only . . then taking them back off before they leave.
    Maybe if they explain it to them in this context, they'd let you wear you perfectly clean WL'ing shoes in there.
    Your WL'ing shoes will likely be cleaner than their floors . . . . I know it a respect/manners thing , but . . . .

Default Update 2

Quote Originally Posted by David A. Rowe View Post
    Let's get the big ones out of the way first:

1. Bar position- too high. Get it down just below the spine of your scapula.
    2. Back angle- you are keeping your back angle vertical. Cue: Point your chest at the floor
    3. Feet- heels in a little closer, toes pointed outwards at about 30 degrees.

So far, you've been doing high bar squats at above parallel. You will need to get your feet and the par position on your back fixed... then you will need to fix your back angle. This is critical to performing the low bar back squat correctly.

Post again, and if you can... take the video at hip height... 45 degrees from the rear.

87 now, third set.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by MBasic View Post
    The other posters will fix your form, but . . .

The shoes thing? . .. like as in, that typical Asian tradition thing where you have to leave your 'dirty shoes' at the door?

Most lifters (serious lifters) only wear their weightlifting shoes on the platform or in the gym.
    Usually bring them separate from their street walking shoes. . . .in the gym bag.
    Putting the WL'ing shoes on to lift or squat only . . then taking them back off before they leave.
    Maybe if they explain it to them in this context, they'd let you wear you perfectly clean WL'ing shoes in there.
    Your WL'ing shoes will likely be cleaner than their floors . . . . I know it a respect/manners thing , but . . . .
    Yeah, I couldn't even begin to try to get that idea across to them, would probably take me 30 minutes with google translate and with 2 years of experience/living in Vietnam speaking basic Vietnamese and still they would look funny at me for suggesting such a dumb idea *lol*. but yeah ,i skipped shirt+socks on the last video. It's easier with no socks so will probably keep them off.
    Thanks for the tips tho!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast