starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Norweigian Powerlifting Training/Programming?

Default Norweigian Powerlifting Training/Programming?

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    I think it was Hanley that brought this up in a recent thread so I thought I'd ask. Does anyone actually know what kind of programming the Norwegian powerlifting team is using in detail? I've heard hints to it online, super high frequency etc, but I've never actually seen one of their programs in full.

So, anyone got the deets?

No, nobody here does. Nor will they. The coach Dietmar Wolf considers the specifics of the program to be pretty much national secrets, and has made all the lifters swear to not divulge too much of the information.

We do,as you have said, have an idea, both from rumors, pieced together tidbits fed to the public, and a couple of studies Wolf commissioned that seem to imply some of his programming. But yeah, the complete program is, to date, classified by the team. And yes, I realize this may sound slightly absurd.

EDIT: I think the best I can gain is not just super high frequency, but in contrast perhaps to the more popular Bulgarian type programs, an unabashed acceptance that maximal intensities are not necessary as a norm over a training career. Lots of sets in low rep range, nowhere near failure. Presumably attempts to focus on main lifts and supplemental variants. Honestly, I get the feeling its "like" Sheiko, but uses the frequency to distribute the volume per session and probably focuses on long-term PR setting.
    Last edited by Daverin; 04-16-2016 at 11:50 PM.

Here's a translation of a program put together by one of Wolf's lifters, based upon the principles Wolf would typically program for them. Obviously, this was made some years ago and things change, but it seems to go well together with what is known about Norwegian Powerlifting methods.

Ooh, interesting.

EDIT: That doesn't even seem that high volume. At least not for their level of powerlifter.
    Last edited by Daverin; 04-17-2016 at 12:34 AM.

High Frequency Training for a Bigger Total: Research on highly trained Norwegian powerlifters ? Strengtheory

They took a 3x per week program and split the volume over 6 sessions. It was not super high volume.

Quote Originally Posted by Nate7out View Post
    High Frequency Training for a Bigger Total: Research on highly trained Norwegian powerlifters ? Strengtheory

They took a 3x per week program and split the volume over 6 sessions. It was not super high volume.
    That study is a big part of my general understanding, and I do think they try to use this frequency effect to minimize needed volume. I also was honestly surprised that linked program was only 4 days, since I was the impression it really was a 6-day type of thing.

Still at their level of athlete... But, hey. It obviously works. And they frankly have as much right to seriously claim "drug-free" as anyone does. The Norwegians apparently are quite eager to honestly pursue anti-doping measures.

Quote Originally Posted by OCG View Post
    I think it was Hanley that brought this up in a recent thread so I thought I'd ask. Does anyone actually know what kind of programming the Norwegian powerlifting team is using in detail? I've heard hints to it online, super high frequency etc, but I've never actually seen one of their programs in full.

So, anyone got the deets?
    I was probably referencing the "Norwegian powerlifting meme" that's been trendy over the past few years vice any actual Norwegian powerlifting program.

I can't remember the thread or my quote, but I absolutely love the idea chopping a mesocycle's (let's just use a week) volume into smaller sessions over more doses (say 12000# of squat in 4 vice 2 sessions).

I haven't followed the research but it really (really) seems that X amount of mechanical work yields more strength & size if optimally "dosed" in smaller, more frequent sessions. And here I'm thinking optimal means 'no shit, totally obvious results optimal' not 'I'm a programming dork, on paper optimal'.

Such a simple, beautiful idea (get bigger, stronger from the same amount of mechanical work at similar intensities).

Quote Originally Posted by John Hanley View Post
    I was probably referencing the "Norwegian powerlifting meme" that's been trendy over the past few years vice any actual Norwegian powerlifting program.

I can't remember the thread or my quote, but I absolutely love the idea chopping a mesocycle's (let's just use a week) volume into smaller sessions over more doses (say 12000# of squat in 4 vice 2 sessions).

I haven't followed the research but it really (really) seems that X amount of mechanical work yields more strength & size if optimally "dosed" in smaller, more frequent sessions. And here I'm thinking optimal means 'no shit, totally obvious results optimal' not 'I'm a programming dork, on paper optimal'.

Such a simple, beautiful idea (get bigger, stronger from the same amount of mechanical work at similar intensities).
    I mean, it even intuits well enough. Which one has "fresher" stimuli in the form of sets (even if one would not think as little as the matter of a day of rest would be that important.)

The current trend in research seems to be that more is better, so long as you are either a) recovering, or b) correctly performing overreaching and supercompensation. So, say, maybe 6 sets is better than 5. But every set after set 1 is not as optimal a stressor. I guess the experience of the above study, and I suppose the Norwegian team, is that as little as a day of rest and splitting the work into 2 sets of three is, in fact, quite a bit of "artifical" boost to the stimulus.

Plus, think about it: Imagine how relatively "easy" each session would be this way. The per session workload is comparatively low, their approach apparently is to stay in a low rep range in a moderate-high intensity so each set should not be beating you down, and the sheer frequency means strong adapation to the event of working out itself. Its as normal and routine as a job (... which it is for them, I suppose.)

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Boa View Post
    Here's a translation of a program put together by one of Wolf's lifters, based upon the principles Wolf would typically program for them. Obviously, this was made some years ago and things change, but it seems to go well together with what is known about Norwegian Powerlifting methods.
    I would be interested if any of the more experienced lifters here have comments on the above program. The intensity is much lower than I expected, even though I was expecting low intensity.

Since the program recommends a 2.5%-5% increase over eleven weeks I assume it is written for fairly advanced lifters.

Selfishly, I'm wondering how this type of programming would be adjusted for someone who isn't as advanced. Say someone coming off their first TM cycle . . . would that trainee adjust the percentage increase (say 10% for a ~1% a week increase) or would they shorten the cycle? If the latter, which weeks would you cut out? I'm not sure how to evaluate the volume, since it is at a much lower intensity than I'm used to seeing, but it still looks to be higher than an early intermediate would have encountered.
    Last edited by Anthony King; 04-20-2016 at 06:22 AM.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by mgilchrest View Post
    Question:

Could this then be approximated with the delivery of medicine? Medicines that have to be metabolized are typically more effective in smaller doses with higher frequencies, right (huge "IF" in IIRC)?

By breaking up weekly volume into smaller doses and given enough nutrition, rest, and hormonal levels, the recovery mechanisms are in a constant state of demand, which may make them work in a more optimal manner?

Just my dumb guess.
    No clue on the medicine bit.

The second part has been demonstrated clinically: Muscle protein synthesis in response to nutrition and exercise - Atherton - 2012 - The Journal of Physiology - Wiley Online Library

I don't know who this author is, but he agrees with me, so he's a genius:

3 Reasons High Frequency Training Is Objectively Better | Powerlifting University
    Last edited by John Hanley; 04-20-2016 at 09:08 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast