starting strength gym

Thread: Grip Width: Bench vs. Squat

Default Grip Width: Bench vs. Squat

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    Looking through the threads on elbow pain, and I've seen claims that the pain went away from either widening or narrowing the grip. So I'm wondering if there's a correlation between pain-free squat grip width, and bench press grip width.

I'm having elbow issues, and my squat grip is maybe 1-2 inches wider than my bench grip. Bench grip is just inside the break in the knurl, and makes my forearms perpendicular to the floor at the bottom of the bench, as verified by my training partner. My squat grip places my pinkies on, or barely inside, the mark in the knurl on the bars at my gym.

How do the grips of other people compare?

My bench grip places my ring finger on the smooth "ring" in the knurl. For squats, if I squat high-bar, I can grip the bar so that the pinky is slightly inside the ring. For low-bar, I lack the flexibility for a close grip, so I end up holding the bar close to the end of the knurling.

manisstrong Guest

squat low bar, pinkies on the rings, bench pinkies an inch inside the rings.
    Used to have elbow pain... then it went away... and haven't had any since.

my squat grip is probably 4-5 inches wider on each hand than my bench.

I bench and squat with the same grip width, with my middle finger on the ring. I'm used to low bar squatting though, so I can have my hands fairly narrow.

starting strength coach development program
    My grip is the same for both.

Pinky finger on the ring.

Sometimes during the set I widen my grip depending on how it feels.

I found that a narrow grip forces me to stay more erect, whereas a wider one allows me to use more back, as in a good morning but not quite. Whatever it takes to get that shit up.