starting strength gym
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Is SS right for me?

Default Is SS right for me?

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    I am a total fitness noob and I'm trying to re-educate myself. I'm posting here to sort out years of misinformation from fact. That being said...

Before I invest serious time, money and effort into this program, I want to know if it will help accomplish my goals:

-I want to be healthy, live longer, feel better
    -I want to look good (Ripped, but not gigantic. Yeah, like the movie stars. Oh, Ryan Renolds... <3)
    -I want to be strong, but not necessarily at a competitive level

I'm a 24 year old male, 5'9" and 160lbs. I couldn't possibly say what my body fat percentage is but I'm your average, inactive joe. I'm not fit. At all. Like, here's an example. I have a chinup bar that I play with. I can do 2.5 chinups before my arms turn to noodles.

I've done some preliminary reading and apparently, with this program, my body fat would come to some sort of equilibrium before I'll be able to burn it off? I've also seen pictures of people frying up a dozen eggs in a pan and drinking nearly 4 litres of milk each day, which is only a part of their 6000 calorie diets. Is this for real?

tl;dr... my questions:
    1. Will this program help me achieve my goals?
    2. I couldn't possibly eat 6000 calories and a gallon of milk and water a day. I understand exercise will help me achieve this. At what point into the program should I be able to eat this much?
    3. Is it dangerous to eat such a high fat diet? (No anecdotal evidence, please. Let's stay scientific eh?)
    4. What kind of results could I expect if I can't stomach a 6000 calorie diet, and umpteen gallons of milk? (Let's assume I stick with a 2000 calorie diet and 1litre of milk a day.)
    5. I'll be buying my own barbell. What kind should I buy? I've been thinking of a 5' bar for 1" plates (Space is limited). Should I get a heavier-duty bar?

Much appreciated ladies and gents. Thanks.

4. That would be less than 3000 calories per day. You don't have to do 6000 if you don't want to, but I can't imagine you making anything other than very mediocre progress on less than 3000.
    5. If you ever intend to squat more than 150 lbs, then you should absolutely get a heavier-duty bar.

Quote Originally Posted by albatr0ss View Post
    I am a total fitness noob and I'm trying to re-educate myself. I'm posting here to sort out years of misinformation from fact. That being said...

Before I invest serious time, money and effort into this program, I want to know if it will help accomplish my goals:

-I want to be healthy, live longer, feel better
    -I want to look good (Ripped, but not gigantic. Yeah, like the movie stars. Oh, Ryan Renolds... <3)
    -I want to be strong, but not necessarily at a competitive level

I'm a 24 year old male, 5'9" and 160lbs. I couldn't possibly say what my body fat percentage is but I'm your average, inactive joe. I'm not fit. At all. Like, here's an example. I have a chinup bar that I play with. I can do 2.5 chinups before my arms turn to noodles.

I've done some preliminary reading and apparently, with this program, my body fat would come to some sort of equilibrium before I'll be able to burn it off? I've also seen pictures of people frying up a dozen eggs in a pan and drinking nearly 4 litres of milk each day, which is only a part of their 6000 calorie diets. Is this for real?

tl;dr... my questions:
    1. Will this program help me achieve my goals?
    2. I couldn't possibly eat 6000 calories and a gallon of milk and water a day. I understand exercise will help me achieve this. At what point into the program should I be able to eat this much?
    3. Is it dangerous to eat such a high fat diet? (No anecdotal evidence, please. Let's stay scientific eh?)
    4. What kind of results could I expect if I can't stomach a 6000 calorie diet, and umpteen gallons of milk? (Let's assume I stick with a 2000 calorie diet and 1litre of milk a day.)
    5. I'll be buying my own barbell. What kind should I buy? I've been thinking of a 5' bar for 1" plates (Space is limited). Should I get a heavier-duty bar?

Much appreciated ladies and gents. Thanks.
    1. Some fitness is generally better than none so it will help with your health goals when compared to sitting on your ass, sure. How ripped you are will be more of a function of diet than program for a large part. SS is not a bodybuilding program but is a good place to start for a beginner for this goal anyway. It will get you strong.
    2. I wouldn't eat 6000kcal a day period. If you are wanting to get bigger I'd do a smaller surplus. I like to aim for a pound a week, others like to do more, it depends on how much fat gain you are willing to accept. I don't think 6000kcal is ever necessary though, it is overkill. There is no specific point in the program where you should be able to do it.
    3. I think it very unlikely having a high fat diet for a few months in a young male with no preexisting complications in the context of an exercise program is likely to cause any health problems. If someone has any scientific references to indicate otherwise that would be interesting to see.
    4. The less you eat the sooner your gains will slow down. As said below, less than 3000kca seems a bit low to me. Maybe somewhere around 3000kcal with more on workout days and less on rest days could work if you were being conservative with weight gain. Generally you would expect less weight gain mainly due to less fat gain, less recovery, and quicker stalling.
    5. I'd buy a quality barbell. Not the place to cut corners.

3. Is it dangerous to eat such a high fat diet?
    The cholesterol theory on its face appears to just be a racket to move lucrative statins.

These drugs seem to reduce the likelihood of a cardiac event by 1%, but only in people who've already had an event.

Calcium appears to be a more substantial contributer, which would make sense since you wouldn't get much of it out there in the wilds, but, whatever. Believe what you will.

Also: I kind of like how Dr.Reckless suggests adding statins to the water supply. Oh those wacky quacks.

(Ripped, but not gigantic. Yeah, like the movie stars. Oh, Ryan Renolds... <3)
    Are you sure you are a man?

SS is the best training program for people who have never trained. It is the most efficent program out there, and will give the best results in the shortest amount of time with proper nutrition and sleep. You're not doing a favor to anyone but yourself if you start it. You seem to have come here to tell us you can't do this and can't do that. So probably SS isn't for you.

Quote Originally Posted by LeonidasfromSparta View Post
    Are you sure you are a man?
    You seem to have come here to tell us you can't do this and can't do that. So probably SS isn't for you.
    Leo has never been one to pull his punches, ever.

:-)

IPB

Quote Originally Posted by IlPrincipeBrutto View Post
    Leo has never been one to pull his punches, ever.

IPB
    Just trying to be honest Principe...

Just trying to be honest Principe...
    Of course you are Leo, you are a prime purveyor of raw, organic, no-frills honesty.
    And make no mistake, I think that's very good.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by the dio View Post
    Thanks, I'll give this a read through ASAP.

Quote Originally Posted by Subsistence View Post
    4. The less you eat the sooner your gains will slow down. As said below, less than 3000kca seems a bit low to me. Maybe somewhere around 3000kcal with more on workout days and less on rest days could work if you were being conservative with weight gain.
    Good good, I can manage this kind of diet. Regarding gains slowing down: It sounds like if I don't diet properly then I'll miss the boat. And I know it'll take a few weeks before I can completely adapt to a new diet. That being said, will gains slow down to a point where they plateau? How would you get off the plateau?

You seem to have come here to tell us you can't do this and can't do that. So probably SS isn't for you.
    Don't misunderstand, I was only asking if the gigantic 6000 calorie diet was necessary.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast