starting strength gym

Thread: Squat flexibility

Default Squat flexibility

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    I've searched the forums for a previous topic similar to mine to avoid being redundant and annoying, and I couldn't find anything. But I just finished the squat segment of the book. I have this issue squatting where my heels lift up. I know it's a flexibility issue. What I want to know is how to fix it. I didn't really find anything on the stretching that should take place to fix an issue like that in the squat chapter.
    I've tried doing the stretch where i squat down, and have my elbows shove my knees out, But I simply can't get into that position, unless my heels come up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=61HTuCJq8Lo This video shows the deepest I can go with out having too much of a forward lean, or lifting my heels.

So what exactly should I do to fix this? like exercise, duration, frequency, etc? thanks

May be use a barbell with weights on it. You'd be surprised how well the method actually works when you actually use it.

Trolls be trollin'

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    May be use a barbell with weights on it. You'd be surprised how well the method actually works when you actually use it.
    here is a video i made yesterday. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eLpvZaAu4Ns significantly deeper. any advice?

Have you actually read the book?

Where's that guy Dana when we need him?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Have you actually read the book?
    in the process of reading it, i've read the squat portion, now i'm on the bench portion of it
    Last edited by jmescalante2; 05-29-2011 at 07:44 PM.

starting strength coach development program
    Read the book. Read the forums. There are literally thousands of posts here with answers to questions like these.