starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: strength and conditioning coach

Default strength and conditioning coach

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    for whom try to be a s & c coach , would you recommend to earn masters degree+ ?? I really don't want to learn more than I need to.. I will major exercise and sport science at UNC. I wonder this is enough?
    my dream is to become most well knowleged coach like you. Any suggestions?

Is English your first language?

Sadly,no . Its my second language. Im still working on my english.. I can speak pretty well but my writing, as you can tell , is just awful

From my experience, most S & C coaches either have a masters in ex. phys or a related field, OR they have an undergrad major is a completely irrelevant field yet because of their connections/history/accomplishments can get away with it. This is on the collegiate level.

One thing you have to understand when going into the S&C field is to never stop learning. If it was easy, everyone would be doing it.

Why not be an expert in something rather than be just the average joe schmoe coach?

Get a science degree, and then learn how to make your training and coaching conform to those standards. There are no college strength and conditioning programs that I am aware of that can teach this material as a science should be taught, and no college programs that I am aware of that can effective teach the coaching of strength and conditioning.

I have a BA in Kinesiology with an emphasis in Exercise Physiology and I can honestly say that if I wanted to continue in the EP area a Master's is the only way to go. Otherwise it is completely worthless. It did get me into my Radiology career though so I am not complaining.

You'd have to be damned picky about where you did that masters, and I'm not entirely sure that you'd find a good program at all.

Thank you for replies. I know penn state has a best kinesiology in the nation. Anyone know about this school? Anyway coach, you seems like you taught yourself everything about training(am i wrong?), how did you studied? Major in anthropology doesnt seems that much related to training If I want to focus more on training than theories, I should just attend one of your barbell cirtification right? (of course I have all your books and waiting for another one)

starting strength coach development program
    Here is Dr. Kilgore's input:

Preparation to be a PE teacher is mired in individual state, county, and individual school regulation. That means that you have to meet the educational requirements of the state that you plan to teach in. That may be difficult to do from the other side of the world. Also know that current efforts in PE are focused only on health, not on fitness. School PE is soft and fluffy and does not make kids fit, it is intended to prepare them for a lifetime of engaging in "healthy lifestyles".

To be a good professional trainer, you are already on the right track. Take human anatomy and physiology, physics, and maybe some biochemistry and then think about how to apply what you learn to training. Taking physical education or exercise science courses may or may not help you along the way as most teach only health and physical activity concepts, not fitness and exercise (there is a large difference). The lack of relevant and practical information on training people available to fitness trainers was the reason Greg developed CrossFit and why Rip and I put out Starting Strength and Practical Programming. None of us have degrees directly relevant to fitness, it is through patient practice and unceasing efforts to learn more that made us "experts". You can do the same thing we did. Until the fitness industry actually gets an accepted standard of fitness trainer education that is actually sound scientifically AND practically, individual effort might just be the best way to get good at what you want to do.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast