starting strength gym

Thread: Requesting squat depth check.

Default Requesting squat depth check.

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Hello Coaches,

I am hoping you can assess my depth in the linked video. It was shot earlier today and shows a 3RM (TM ID 285lbsx3x2).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nk2JVnVnqhQ

All feedback welcome.

Thank you,

Vince

Shallow across the board, I'm afraid.

Feet might be wide, though hard to tell due to shitty angle. I would recommend a belt, and would also question your programming if you are doing TM with 285 as your ID day...food for thought.

OK, figured. Just when I thought I was making progress . . . foolin' myself.

Feet are intentionally wider. Used to have knee pain, but none since I moved the feet out. Seems easier to keep the knees out with the feet at the current position. I'll go back and experiment.

Understood about the video angle. I thought perpendicular would make the depth check easier. Will adjust to 45 deg from the back in the future.

I was waiting on the belt until (don't laugh), a 315lb squat. I pulled my groin a long while ago with a 4" belt going after a heavy squat. Seems like beltless training enabled a more balanced early development. If true, perhaps I can handle the belt now. Or maybe 4" is still too wide for my short torso.

Yes, my programming is questionable. I'm just coming off of a year of 5/3/1, with very slow progress. 5/3/1 gave me an obvious way to add recovery to my program (without PPST3 knowledge) while I healed from a shoulder injury and couple of groin injuries. I acquired those during the LP that led up to the 5/3/1. With that, and my age (46 yrs., and inadequate sleep ~ 5 hrs/night), I think I've exhausted LP. I'm trying to use the TM 4-day split, which resembles 5/3/1, but with more predictable intensity and volume.

Thanks Mac,

Vince

Quote Originally Posted by Mac Ward View Post
    Shallow across the board, I'm afraid.

Feet might be wide, though hard to tell due to shitty angle. I would recommend a belt, and would also question your programming if you are doing TM with 285 as your ID day...food for thought.
    Quick followup, sans video (didn't take it).

1. Belted up.
    2. Feet a little narrower.
    3. Fearless commitment to depth. Willing to fall on the pins in public (at the Y) shamelessly.
    4. Perhaps most importantly, added ~ 4 hrs sleep nightly for a total of 9 - 10 hrs (won't be able to maintain that indefinitely).

Hit 290x3x2 with I think ample depth margin. It was simply really heavy, not crushing, and the weight popped off my shoulders a little at the top during lockout.

(Then did a beltless deadlift at 370x3x2 which felt pretty good too. But I think my form is still too close to an SDL.)

We'll see how 295 goes next Friday. Should be able to take video next time.

Programming is still in question.

Thanks again Mac,

Vince

Quote Originally Posted by VNV View Post
    . . .

We'll see how 295 goes next Friday. Should be able to take video next time.

. . .

Vince
    Coach Mac,

Here is 295# x 3:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LnDZuD8x8Ro

Red or White and/or Other?

Thanks again,

Vince

starting strength coach development program
    Plenty deep. Feet are two wide and you are back on your heels, your knees need to come forward just a hair. I think you're pretty close to that wall, which may be giving a sense of needing to go back. Hard to be sure.