starting strength gym
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Texas Method for Powerlifting

Default Texas Method for Powerlifting

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    Hey, this is a question I'm directing towards KSC or anyone else interested in powerlifting. After I burnout on the advanced novice program, I would like to switch over to TM to specify my training for powerlifting. I'm looking for criticism on my program.

Monday: Volume
    Squat 5x5
    Bench 5x5
    Power Clean ?x? -- 5x3? Singles?

Wednesday: Light
    Squats 2x5 @80% or Front Squat 3x3?
    Press 3x5 or 3x3?
    Pull-ups or Rows? -- 3x5 or 5x5 for rows/ pull-ups to failure?

Friday: Intensity
    Squats ?x? -- 5x1, 1x5, 1x3?
    Bench ?x? -- 5x1, 1x5, 1x3?
    Deadlift ?x? -- 5x1, 1x5, 1x3?

Unlike SS, TM allows for a lot more variation and individuality. I think any of those set/rep schemes you're considering would be fine. I don't compete in powerlifting myself, but I imagine you'd want to eventually switch to heavy singles on Intensity Day.

You should search around for Mark Marotta's log. He used TM as his main template and managed to set a Canadian record for his age & weight class.

Quote Originally Posted by FKYT View Post
    Unlike SS, TM allows for a lot more variation and individuality. I think any of those set/rep schemes you're considering would be fine. I don't compete in powerlifting myself, but I imagine you'd want to eventually switch to heavy singles on Intensity Day.

You should search around for Mark Marotta's log. He used TM as his main template and managed to set a Canadian record for his age & weight class.
    hey, thanks, man! This was very helpful to me. I'm going to look him up now

As FKYT said, the TM has a lot of potential variety built in. The most commonly done and recommended way to transition from Advanced Novice to TM is:

Mon
    Squat x 5x5
    Bench / Press x 5x5
    Deadlift x 5x1

Wed
    Squat x5x2 @ 80% of Mon
    Press x5x3 / Bench x5x2-3 @ 80% of last Mon
    Assistance Work Optional

Fri
    Squat 5RM
    Bench / Press 5RM
    Power Cleans x5x3

Switching from a 5RM Friday to 5 singles usually occurs when the lifter stalls (or senses a stall is immanent), but you can also switch to a 3RM. Like you, I also like doing cleans on Volume Day; pulling a heavy DL after 5x5 squats is not fun, and you'll never be fresh for it. I think this is less of a problem on cleans, at least for a powerlifter.

Changing things from 5x5 across on volume day is also often done later on, but by the time you need to do that, you'll have a very good idea of some of the options (8x3, 5x3, 5x5 ramping, working up to a top 5 and then 4 sets of 5 at a lower weight, etc...)

I like your take on TM. I would probably have deadlifts on Friday. I feel like it would be more suitable for competition. If I prepared myself correctly, my friday workout (day 3) would peak on competition day for whatever event. The basic Squat, Bench, deadlift setup for Friday would prepare me for competition. And you're right, i wouldn't want to do heavy deadlifts after all that volume on Mondays, that's why I would substitute Power Cleans for deadlifts so I'm not deadlifting twice a week and they act as DE for my deadlifts.

I feel like the press is a good assistance exercise to my bench and it doesn't progress as fast as my bench so that's why it would be suitable for wednesday's once a week. I like your take on the 80% bench on Wednesday's.

Quote Originally Posted by SoulySpoken View Post
    Hey, this is a question I'm directing towards KSC or anyone else interested in powerlifting. After I burnout on the advanced novice program, I would like to switch over to TM to specify my training for powerlifting. I'm looking for criticism on my program.

Monday: Volume
    Squat 5x5
    Bench 5x5
    Power Clean ?x? -- 5x3? Singles?

Wednesday: Light
    Squats 2x5 @80% or Front Squat 3x3?
    Press 3x5 or 3x3?
    Pull-ups or Rows? -- 3x5 or 5x5 for rows/ pull-ups to failure?

Friday: Intensity
    Squats ?x? -- 5x1, 1x5, 1x3?
    Bench ?x? -- 5x1, 1x5, 1x3?
    Deadlift ?x? -- 5x1, 1x5, 1x3?
    It's not a powerlifting program unless you're laying out a plan for a specific meet. I guess that would dictate the best answers for your questions.

How many weeks out are you? If you have no specific one yet, stick with 5x3 with your cleans, and 5's on intensity day. If you already have one planned, I'd personally switch the cleans to speed deads for many singles, and go with 5's to 1's across as the meet gets closer.

I have been doing triples for ID for more than a year, I like them very much. You can start with 5x5 on VD and then tweak it, doing triples, doing 3x5 or whatever, as long as it keeps ID going. You can add assistance exercises if you feel you need them, usually doing them on VD. Do bench on Mondays and Fridays, keep OHP on Wednesday for 3x5. I have been doing them heavy and I feel it doesn't interfere with bench on Friday.

Quote Originally Posted by simonsky View Post
    It's not a powerlifting program unless you're laying out a plan for a specific meet. I guess that would dictate the best answers for your questions.

How many weeks out are you? If you have no specific one yet, stick with 5x3 with your cleans, and 5's on intensity day. If you already have one planned, I'd personally switch the cleans to speed deads for many singles, and go with 5's to 1's across as the meet gets closer.
    What do you mean it's not a powerlifting program? It only becomes a powerlifting program once I've chosen a specific meet?

I feel like my lifts aren't competition strong, I've only been lifting for about 4 months now. Once I'm burnout on the advanced novice program, I would like to run texas method in a specified powerlifting-oriented manner. Becoming an intermediate, I will be able to concentrate more on my sport which is powerlifting. Starting Strength is more of a generalized strength program. But Texas Method is more of a malleable template. Athletes mould their programs for their specific sport.

I probably won't be competing for the next couple of years so I would like to progress as long as possible. I would have to peak and compete at designated times if I had determined dates for meets. I want to follow a program for a long time before I even think about competing.

If this doesn't fit the criteria for a powerlifting program, so be it. I'm just interested in generalized strength. I want to become as strong as possible and I want to run a program optimal for my needs.

Quote Originally Posted by Carlos Daniel View Post
    I have been doing triples for ID for more than a year, I like them very much. You can start with 5x5 on VD and then tweak it, doing triples, doing 3x5 or whatever, as long as it keeps ID going. You can add assistance exercises if you feel you need them, usually doing them on VD. Do bench on Mondays and Fridays, keep OHP on Wednesday for 3x5. I have been doing them heavy and I feel it doesn't interfere with bench on Friday.
    Sounds great, man. So I assume that you've ran a TM program?

On volume day, do you add 5 lbs every week?
    For example:
    Monday: 300 5x5
    Next Monday: 305 5x5

How long are you able to run that progression , on average, before you stall?

I would definitely like to utilize presses on wednesdays. I feel like they really help my bench. Should I switch from 3x5 to 3x3 after I stall on my press?

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by SoulySpoken View Post
    Sounds great, man. So I assume that you've ran a TM program?

On volume day, do you add 5 lbs every week?
    For example:
    Monday: 300 5x5
    Next Monday: 305 5x5

How long are you able to run that progression , on average, before you stall?

I would definitely like to utilize presses on wednesdays. I feel like they really help my bench. Should I switch from 3x5 to 3x3 after I stall on my press?
    I wouldn't add 5 lbs every Monday. I'd add 5 lbs every 2-3 weeks, depending on how heavy it feels. Life will make you deload but usually I can add 5 lbs to every lift if nothing gets in the way, on ID. If you stall on presses, deload and go up again. Consider microloading.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast