starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What exercises should I do?

Default What exercises should I do?

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    I just started training at home which put some limitations on what exercises I can do.

I can squat, bench, press seated, deadlift and do dips. I don't want to do power cleans as I live in apartment and the risk of dropping the weight when it starts to get really heavy is too big.

I can not find any program from Mark which use only those lifts. The ones not using power cleans uses pull-ups and I don't have a place to do them. The only thing I can find is the "Practical Programming (2nd Ed) Novice Program" which is squat, deadlift and bench/press every workout, but that is only recommended for a few weeks before power cleans is introduced. The deadlift is my strongest lift and my 1 rep max was 440 6 months ago (lower now after a small break). Would recovering most likely be a problem if I deadlifted 3 times a week?

Any ideas on how to do the program? Everything else will be in place. Food and sleep is dialed in. I've done the program before with great success but I trained at a facility at that point. Being a single dad and being busy with my own company make is impossible for me to go to a gym and train consistently, so now I have bought the barbell, bench and squat rack at home and I just have to find a way to work with what I got.

Thanks a lot in advance.

I think I will actually buy a power rack with a chin-up bar in it. Would also be safer than the free standing squat rack I just bought when training alone.

One option, although not generally looked upon favorably here, is to swap out the power clean with bent over barbell rows (basically the Stronglifts version of Starting Strength). I've been doing that for the last couple of months and it seems reasonable. I've read that is supposed to help your bench out. Good luck!

Another option is a door-mounted chin-up bar.

If you check Craigslist, you can probably find a good chin-up bar / dip station for cheap.

Any program that emphasizes compound lifts and progression will give you good results. I wouldn't necessarily worry about (for example), substituting dips for bench and chin-ups or rows for power cleans.

I do sort of feel sorry for your neighbors if you're planning on hitting 400+ lb deadlifts hard 3x per week. Do you have a lifting platform to dampen the noise?

You are doing these in an apartment? seems odd...

You could explore another option and that's find an outside storage facility and rent a garage space - then you'll have flat concrete floors, plenty of headspace and you can lift, drop, bang and do whatever you please. There are great deals for something lift $35 a month 24/7 access.

Quote Originally Posted by caveman View Post
    One option, although not generally looked upon favorably here, is to swap out the power clean with bent over barbell rows (basically the Stronglifts version of Starting Strength). I've been doing that for the last couple of months and it seems reasonable. I've read that is supposed to help your bench out. Good luck!
    Thank you. I will consider that and read about the exercise. Have never done it before.

Quote Originally Posted by FKYT View Post
    Another option is a door-mounted chin-up bar.

If you check Craigslist, you can probably find a good chin-up bar / dip station for cheap.

Any program that emphasizes compound lifts and progression will give you good results. I wouldn't necessarily worry about (for example), substituting dips for bench and chin-ups or rows for power cleans.

I do sort of feel sorry for your neighbors if you're planning on hitting 400+ lb deadlifts hard 3x per week. Do you have a lifting platform to dampen the noise?
    Thank you! Yes I have some heavy rubber mats on the floor that is made for the purpose. They are 1 cm thick and was the heaviest stuff I could find. They weight about 12 kg per square meter. I have not lifted 400+ in here yet as I'm easing into it after a 1 month break because of traveling but I've done a lot of reps with 300 with my friend standing beside me and he said you couldn't feel anything on the floor at all. Of course I will not be dropping the weights but trying to put them down more slowly.

Quote Originally Posted by GOMAD View Post
    You are doing these in an apartment? seems odd...

You could explore another option and that's find an outside storage facility and rent a garage space - then you'll have flat concrete floors, plenty of headspace and you can lift, drop, bang and do whatever you please. There are great deals for something lift $35 a month 24/7 access.
    Thank you for the idea but I already have a membership in a hardcore gym only 10 minutes from here but my problem is that the only time I can train is in the evening when my 2 year old son is sleeping so to go there I would have to find a babysitter and I know from experience that I will be bad for my training consistency over time because they will cancel or be inflexible when I have to change times etc. etc.

Here is my small setup:

starting strength coach development program
    How high can you set the squat stand uprights? You could put a barbell across them and do chin-ups on that.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast