starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: rogue platform

Default rogue platform

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    I'm looking at buying Rogue's 8x8 platform frame, with the rubber tiles on the side and plywood inserts down the middle. I'm moving to a house with a huge garage, so I want to upgrade my home gym.

My only concern is that the frame only allows for 2 sheets of plywood, or 1.5" of rubber. Most do it yourself platforms call for 2 layers plywood, one layer rubber.
    I could always put 0.75" rubber matting under it, but is there any risk to damaging the garage concrete if I don't?

Has anyone cracked concrete lifting? I see that a lot of people are worried about damaging their floors. Does this happen?

In my basement I'm using inverted, thin rubber mats from Home Depot:

Apache Mills 24 in. x 36 in. Black Recycled Rubber Commercial Door Mat-60-060-9501-20000300 - The Home Depot

I use the mats to protect my bumpers. I never imagined that the concrete might crack.

Quote Originally Posted by tweakxc03 View Post
    I'm looking at buying Rogue's 8x8 platform frame, with the rubber tiles on the side and plywood inserts down the middle. I'm moving to a house with a huge garage, so I want to upgrade my home gym.

My only concern is that the frame only allows for 2 sheets of plywood, or 1.5" of rubber. Most do it yourself platforms call for 2 layers plywood, one layer rubber.
    I could always put 0.75" rubber matting under it, but is there any risk to damaging the garage concrete if I don't?
    you're just going to put two sheets of wood thru the center then, directly ontop of eachother . . . .most people would probably do a shit piece on bottom, maybe nice hardwood or sanded hi-q plywood on top . . .maybe poly-urethane to top . . . and 1.5" of rubber on the sides, dont think it'll hurt anything.

Quote Originally Posted by tweakxc03 View Post
    Most do it yourself platforms call for 2 layers plywood, one layer rubber.
    Most say this because: on a 8'x8' platform, first two pieces go east-west, top center piece goes north-south thru middle . . . .leaves 3/4" for 2' on sides for rubber.
    This way it won't buckle so bad if you try to scooch it around (like layering bricks).

Also, only bumber plates, or metal, both?
    Last edited by MBasic; 09-14-2015 at 01:21 PM.

You're buying a platform for a garage? Cool. I don't think dropping bumpers on 1.5" of hard rubber is going to break the concrete floor.

Quote Originally Posted by iamsmuts View Post
    Has anyone cracked concrete lifting? I see that a lot of people are worried about damaging their floors. Does this happen?

In my basement I'm using inverted, thin rubber mats from Home Depot:

Apache Mills 24 in. x 36 in. Black Recycled Rubber Commercial Door Mat-60-060-9501-20000300 - The Home Depot

I use the mats to protect my bumpers. I never imagined that the concrete might crack.
    how thick ??? are those . . .don't see anything on that Depot page to click on for specs

. oops

Are you talking about this platform? Rogue 8' x 8' Oly Platform | Rogue Fitness

Seems like the major downside is the cost. You can make a platform with plywood/particle board/OSB and rubber for what...$200-300? This is $255 for the frame only.

ETA: You probably won't damage your floor with 2 layers vs. 3.
    Last edited by manveer; 09-14-2015 at 01:35 PM.

black pendlay elite bumpers only. I've got 2 platforms in my current garage - one 6x7 and one 6x8 with a squat stand and a flat bench on the 6x7. It's a tight squeeze with only 6 ft of depth, so I can't do fun shit like rack jerks.

This new place has a 3 car garage, so I might have a third full size platform. It's going to look bad ass.

Current planned upgrades:
    8x8 framed platform
    horizontal plate storage cart (currently i have to stack the plates on whatever platform i'm not using)
    54" of Rogue Jerk Blocks (48" starter set plus 6" blocks)
    IF space allows, Rogue Monster Lite 390F Flat Foot Rack
    Space Heater

I don't see the point of buying the frame either, when it's unnecessary for building a platform.

My garage floor is covered only by 3/4 inch stall mats, and they've proven to be plenty of protection for my use (and for many a crossfit gym).

starting strength coach development program
    Cutting the stall mats was a pain in the dick last time. Also, most of the matting comes in 4x6 pieces rather than 4x8. If anybody knows of rubber matting that comes in that long size where I won't pay a ton in shipping, let me know.

Further, with the framed platform, it's easier to take apart and move if I need to. MOVING the two platforms that I have now at my current is going to be a chore. They're heavy and awkward. I'll be paying movers to haul those things.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast