starting strength gym
Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Jailer's log

Default Jailer's log

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Everyone feel free to comment on my workouts or ask questions about my logic. I know there are plenty of people on this sight who know more than me. So, if you have some advice feel free to drop a line.

I reset from 345lbs (5x5) on squats from a couple of months ago. I have been working out some kinks in my form. My schedule is a little messed up right now as well. I have been spending the last 4 weeks trying to find out why my squat went into the cellar for seemingly no reason out of no where. I am back on track now. After this week my schedule will look as follows.

Monday

Squats 5x5 (plus one drop set or another set of 5 if I feel strong)
    Barbell hack squats 2x8

Tuesday

Bench Press 5x5 (plus one drop set or another set of 5)
    Pull ups 5x8
    Dips 2xmax
    inverted rows bodyweight x max

Wed. off

Thursday

Squats 1x1 or 2 or 3 or 5 (basically just one heavy set)
    Deadlifts 2x5 (one set is typically really heavy and one I back off a little)

Friday

Press 5x5
    Chinups 5x8
    Close grip bench 2x8
    inverted rows bodyweight x max

Here goes. This first week is mixed up but I will be on the above schedule next week.

Monday (2-17-09)
    Bench 255 5 sets of 5 plus 255x6 (I reset this a while back and it still doesnt feel that heavy yet)
    Pullups 5x8 body weight
    dips 1x25, 1x15 (bodyweight)
    inverted rows 1x10, 1x9

not a bad workout.

Wednesday 2-19-09
    Squats 315 6 sets of 5. 1st set felt hard. 6th set felt light. I gotta get pissed when I get under the bar. There is such a thing as having the bar too low on your back, and when in doubt widen your stance.
    hack squats 135x10, 155x10
    Leg raises 2x10

Default Jailer's log. Thursday 2-19-09

Thursday

*Press 185 lbs 4x5, 1x6. First 4 sets I used a bounce at the bottom. The last set I started from a stand still at the bottom. I like to practice stopping at the bottom as this is how you have to start when maxing out. I also got 6 reps on the last set just to show I got 190 in the bag next week for 5x5.

*Chins (body weight) 5x9. Next week I will go for 5x10

*Close grip bench 240 lbs 2x8. Felt good. Go for 245 next week.

*Inverted rows 1x10, 1x9.

Good workout. Remember attack the weight on press and same goes for chins. Dont mess around. Pull like you mean it.

Default Friday (02-20-09)

Ooooooh, Today I was still hurting from Wednesday's squat workout, but I expected to feel terrible. I squated heavy on Wednesday, but I had to squat and deadlift today to get on schedule for next week. Next week I will be squating heavy on Monday. Walked into the gym feeling crickety and sore and walked out feeling crickety and sore.

6 minutes on exercise bike-I should have gone longer.

Squats
    barx5
    barx5
    135x5
    135x5
    185x5
    225x5
    275x3
    315x2
    335x1
    365x1
    385x1 I was going to do a double, but the single felt really heavy and I had no spot. I also want to be fresh for next Mondays squat work.

Deads
    135x5
    225x5
    315x5 felt heavy-not a good sign.
    315x5 felt a little better
    365x3 was going to do a 5 just for the sake of nervous system maintenance, but I stopped because my lower right rib hurt.

In retrospect, I should have just done 3 med sets of 5 on squats and then just done some med. intensidy Romanian deads. Oh well, I should be able to come in feeling good on Monday.

Remember for squat form-hips START back but then knees unlock and go forward and hips DROP straight down.

Default Monday 02-23-09

Well for all of you paying attention, I decided to wait another day before squatting due to the rib injury I incurred deadlifting last Friday. So I will basically switch my squat and bench day and then switch my dead and press day. So my schedule will be as follows:

Mon-Bench
    Tues-Squat
    Thurs-Press
    Fri-Dead

Monday 02-23-09

Bench 260: 4x5, 1x7. Weight felt light

Pullups 3x8, 1x7, 1x8 felt a little akward. I still will take it.

Dips BW+20 lbsx15, BWx15

Inverted BW rows 2x10

Default Tuesday 02-24-09

Squats

320 4x5, 1x6.

As usual, first set felt heavy last set felt easy. Tweaked my back on the first set trying to get my back more horizontal to improve hip drive. That was a mistake I wont make again.

Barbell Hack Squats

155x8
    185x8

Got my squat shoes in the mail today. VS explosions. Yeah baby.

Default Thursday 02-26-09

Standing Press 190 4x5, 1x6. I used a bounce on the bottom of the first 4 sets. On my last set, I paused on the bottom. I did 6 on the last set just to show myself I got 195 in the bag next week for 5x5.

Chinups BW 5x9 These felt a little sluggish so I did 5x9 instead of going for 5x10

Close Grip Bench 245 2x8

Inverted Rows BW 2x10

Workout went well. This was my first Press workout with my New VS explosion shoes. Felt good.

Default Friday 02-27-09

Squats

barx5 2 sets
    135x5
    185x5
    225x5
    275x3
    315x2
    335x1
    370x3 This set felt good. I felt I could have got 4 but stopped cause all I wanted was 3. This was my first squat workout with my new VS explosion shoes and my form was a little off due to the heel. I think I will really like them when I get used to them. Next week I will either go for 375 for a triple or go a little heavier and go for a double. My rib was still a little sore.a

Deads

135x5
    225x5
    275x3
    315x3
    365x3
    405x4 This set felt good. I felt I could have got 5 but thought I should take it easy this week due to my sore rib. I also did this set with just my socks on. I really like that. Next week I will either go heavier and due a triple or stay at 405 and do 5 reps. We will see.

If anyone has experienced this sore rib thing and know what it is, please let me know.

Your press is quite strong in relation to your bench press. Any thoughts on why this might be. It is quite unusual to see in this day and age.

KSC,

Thanks for dropping a line. I have been reading alot of your comments and input via Rip's Blog. For about the past 5 years, my bench has been plagued with shoulder pain. My shoulder would feel fine; I would bench; and the next day it would hurt. For that reason, my bench is a little behind. However, recently I have been benching pain free thanks to Rip's instruction on the bench. I can tell you that my press has been feeling alot stronger since I have been flat benching heavier. I hope to get 205 for 5 sets of 5 in the next couple of weeks. My short term goal is to press my weight which is 237.
    I got 225 not to long ago, but choked on 230. Any advice you got, don't hesitate to drop it bro. Luke

Default Monday 03-02-09

starting strength coach development program
    Felt a little sleepy coming in. I really didnt get enough sleep the last couple of nights due to work. Ate alot all day, and was well hydrated.

Bench: 265 4x5, 1x7. I felt I could have got 8 on the last set but saved it. My form was a little off on all sets due to my groginess. However, I still got it and cannot forsee any problems getting 270 for 5 sets of 5 next week.

Pull ups: BW 3x8, 2x7 I missed a couple of reps mainly because I slowed my speed to decrease the swing of my body. In essence, my form was stricter. I will take it.

Dips: BW x 25. I was interrupted by my 4 year old going, "Daddy, Daddy, Daddy, Daddy, Daddy." Oh well. 2nd set I got 14 real good deep ones.

Inverted Rows 1x13, 1x11 These felt strong.

I am looking forward to squats tommorow. This workout went well. I know my form would have been better with better sleep.

Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast