starting strength gym
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Randy's Log

Default Randy's Log

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Starting a log here to track my progress and ask questions.

My stats: M/19/6'4"/170lb.

Training/Nutrition: I am a Crossfitter who decided to do SS. I am self-trained and have almost 0 formal coaching. I have learned by reading Starting Strength, downloading videos, and reading online. I am not doing GOMAD because I am deployed in Afghanistan and do not have access to whole milk. I am tracking my nutrition via Fitday and am shooting for Zone ratios of 40/30/30 while keeping myself in a caloric surplus. I understand that gains will not come as easily without massive amounts of calories, but I will experiment. If my gains stall and I think it is due to my nutrition, I will adjust where neccessary. I have a shake with creatine and whey protein religiously after every workout.

My goals: My goal is pretty simple. I want to be able to complete the Crossfit main site WODs without having to scale the weight.

Week 1 - A

Squat 3x5
    w1(2x5@45)
    w2(1x5@65)
    w3(1x3@95)
    w4(1x2@115)
    WS (3x5@165) - Felt like this was a good weight and I should be able to add 10lbs. to my next workout.

Bench Press 3x5
    w1(2x5@45)
    w2(1x5@65)
    w3(1x3@95)
    w4(1x2@115)
    WS (3x5@135) - Only made 4 reps on the last set. I blame this on the fast pace of me switching out with my spotter at the gym. I needed more rest time and will take more next time.

Deadlift 1x5
    w1(2x5@95)
    w2(1x3@155)
    w3(1x2@215)
    WS(1x5@255) - I thought this set was fairly easy and I do not think I will have any problems adding 10lb. to next workout.

Extra Work
    Chin Ups 3xF (9,9,5)

Note: I know I should not mess with the SS program, however I wanted to know if anybody has found an effective way to incorporate 20 rep squats. I was thinking about doing then on Friday (the last workout of the week) since I will have 2 days of recovery afterwards.

I am also adding in metcons as my recovery allows and will note them in my log.

Weight: Did not weigh myself this morning
    Nutrition: 2,718 calories (according to FitDay). I think I am underestimating a little bit so probably more in the 3,000 range. 44% carb, 33% fat, 24% protein. This is on the low side for me.

I will weigh myself on Fridays before my workout.

Randall,

Do not insert 20 rep squats into the SS program, it will screw the whole thing up.

Just put yourself on autopilot and run the thing as laid out. I am a strength coach in Houston and I have literally run SS on dozens and dozens of clients. The way rip has it laid out is the best way.

Also, if you are getting to eat in one of the big chow halls over there you should be fine. Three huge meals a day plus one or two protein shakes will be fine.

I was deployed to Iraq twice and am very familiar with the big chow halls there. I'm assuming there is a similar set up in Afghanistan. You should be fine. Of course when I was there we spent most of our time out on patrols and living out in the dirt so MRE's were the main fare for both of my deployments. Even with MRE's though, there is a shit ton of calories in each of them so you'll be okay.

Be safe.

Andy

Hey KSC,

In light of your experience training SS on so many students, I'm interested to know what's your take on supplemental work, like chinups, situps etc.?

Quote Originally Posted by WatsupHannity View Post
    Hey KSC,

In light of your experience training SS on so many students, I'm interested to know what's your take on supplemental work, like chinups, situps etc.?
    They are good to do but not absolutely essential at the early stages. I don't put the chins and situps on a rotation like the other work though. We do chins on Monday and Friday and Sit ups on Wednesday.

Thanks!

Week 2 - Wednesday, 7/15/09

Workout B
    ______

Squat 3x5 @ 180 (Good)

Press 3x5 @ 95 (Good)

Power Clean 5x3 @ 135 (Good.. Getting form down)

Week 1 - Friday, 7/17/09

Weight: 176.5

Workout A
    ______

Squat 3x5 @ 185 (Good)

Bench Press 3x5 @ 145 (Good.. Felt Easy)

Deadlift 1x5 @ 265 (Good)

Notes: Yesterday was another 4,000 calories or so. I'm pretty sure a lot of the weight gain is water but there must be some decent muscle coming along. Trying not to rush it!

starting strength coach development program
    Week 1 - Saturday, 7/18/09

"1/2 Cindy"
    ______

As many rounds as possible in 10 minutes of:

5 Pull Ups
    10 Push Ups
    15 Squats (Scaled to 10.. My legs are dead)

Total: 7.5 rounds (extra 5 pull ups and 10 push ups. Did jumping pull ups for probably the last 3 rounds)

Notes: Afterwards I did some snatch / OHS practice and some boring elliptical tabatas. Also, cleaning up diet. I am gaining WAY too fast. The scale said 178 today, and it's only been a week! I'm going to drop back to ~4000 calories per day and see what happens.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast