starting strength gym
Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: MisspelledGeoff's Log

Default MisspelledGeoff's Log

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    215 and 5?11?. 39 years old. Probably 17% BF. Lifted weights heavily in high school and college but not since then. And never did a lot of big, core movements like squat and DL. Looking forward to seeing what SS will do for my strength and size.

Started SS on August 3, I can't totally remember what I started with but here's a good estimate.

Squats ? 185X 5 X 3
    Bench Press ? 155X 5 X 3
    Deadlift ? 225X 5 X 1 (almost yacked, I guess that?s a good thing?)

Press ? 95 X 5 X 3
    Powercleans 135 X 3 X 5
    And here is what I completed on my most recent set of workouts

Squats ? 225 X 5 X 3
    Bench Press ? 170 X 5 X 3
    Deadlift ? 275 X 5 X 1 (almost yacked, I guess that?s a good thing?)

Press ? 105 X 5 X 3
    Powercleans 135 X 3 X 5
    Last edited by misspelledgeoff; 11-24-2009 at 02:02 PM.

Squats, Press and PC day. Felt very good and strong though sore from deadlifts on last workout and jiu-jitsu yesterday.

Squats ? 235 X 5 X 3 (10# increase over last workout)
    Press ? 115 X 5 X 3 (10# increase over last workout)
    Powercleans 135 X 3 X 5 (0# increase over last workout)

Notes: Eating and drinking my GOMAD made a huge difference in squats. 235 felt easy. Went a bit too aggressive on press increase--should have gone for 5# instead--barely got my worksets. Wanted to work technique on powercleans so kept same weight. Finally got my feet off floor and made them 'smack' when I caught weight at top. Next time I can try to push the weight.

Default Still increasing...

on my DL and BP day!

Squats ? 245 X 5 X 3 (+ 10 # from last workout)
    Bench Press ? 175 X 5 X 3 (+5 # from last workout)
    Deadlift ? 290 X 5 X 1 (+15# from last workout)

Notes: My form broke down on last rep of last set of squats. I think it's more from lack of concentration than getting stuck. BP felt awesome. DL felt awesome. I love eating. Thank god I didn't throw away my fatpants.

Squats ? 250 X 3 X 1 (MIserable FAIL), 225 X 5 X1, 230 X 5 x1
    Press ? 120 X 5 X 3 (5# increase over last workout)
    Powercleans 145 X 3 X 5 (10# increase over last workout)

I failed bigtime on squats and it's had me in a foul mood since last night. Not only did I miss the 5# increase I went for, but it felt so bad that I dropped 25/20 pounds and barely got my workset.

yeah I had shitty sleep for two nights in a row. yeah i had knee pain from jiu-jitsu. those excuses are just me being a pussy. the real reason i failed is that i finally got the proper depth on the squat and that increased depth kicked me square in the ass.

I will have to reset my squat now that I've found the right depth. I will move to 230 on squats and might try to add only 5# instead of 10 to make sure i don't stall out early.

Squats ? 225 X 5 X 3 (-5 # from last workout)
    Bench Press ? 180 X 5 X 3 (+5 # from last workout)
    Deadlift ? 305 X 5 X 1 (+15# from last workout)

Squats really have me confused. Set 2 was easy. Set 1 was f'ing hard. Rep 2 was nearly impossible, but rep 3 went up strong. I must not have my technique down. I need to videotape it for a form check.

Squats ? 235 X 5 X 3
    Press ? 125 X 5 X 3
    Powercleans 155 X 3 X 5

squats still felt fucking HEAVY--and I'm still 10 pounds under my 5RM of just 9 days ago. my ass and low back feel fatigued and sluggish. maybe i'm overtrained? will try to unload next workout to get back on track. very frustrating.

Press and powercleans continue to go up. Press increased 5#. It felt heavy, but so did my last two press workouts. Powerclean went up 10# and felt good.

Squat

205 X 5 X 1

20% deload from 5RM. Lower back felt very sore but much less fatigued. Weight did not feel heavy.

Bench Press

185 X 5 X 3

Felt very good. Had to talk myself out of going for 10# instead of a 5 # increase. This was a 15# increase in the past 2 weeks and a 30# increase in past 4 weeks. Feel good about this.

Chins

BW X 2 X 3

First time doing chins. Actually surprised i could heft my girth above the bar 2 times.

I'm switching to the Onus Wunsler variant of SS instead of the standard. I am thinking the less frequent deadlift (coupled with deloading on squats) will prevent overtraining and get me back on linear progression for squats. Also hoping the chins will aid my progression in Press and BP.

Default Fuuuck!

I'm pretty sure I broke my pinky toe yesterday grappling. Fuck! It's all swollen, purple and bent to hell. Hurts like a bitch when I have to stuff it in a shoe.

Three years ago I broke the other pinky toe. Went all the way to the DR to have him tape it to the next toe and tell me to stay off it for 6 weeks. Screw that. I've got tape at home and I'm not missing 6 weeks of training.

Like Rip says about old(er) fuckers, if you're going to run to the dr. for every ache and pain you won't be training much. But squats should be interesting tonight in my tight-ass lifting shoes.

Squats ? 250 X 5 X 3
    Press ? 130 X 5 X 3
    Deadlift 320X 5 X 1

BW ~ 230

Felt good. First 2 DL reps I did with overhand grip, last 3 with hook grip.

starting strength coach development program
    Squats (light)? 225 X 5 X 1, 225 X 1 X 1: sharp pain in right knee on second set, decided not to risk it

Bench Press ? 190 X 5 X 3 ; definitely could have gone for more weight. Went up very easy

Chins; BW 2 X 1 ; intense pain in left bicep. couldn't complete last two sets

Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast