Default Bergie

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    First some basic stats.
    Age 50
    Height 6'
    Weight 200

I started doing Crossfit about a year and a half ago but soon realize that I needed to build up me strength first to get the most out of the program.

I began the SS Novice program last Nov. I have attached a graph of my progress. Over all it has been good but there were some bumps in the road.

Started off great but the age think quickly reared it head. I ran into a string of pulled muscles in early and mid dec (came back too fast). Thought I had it back on track until I developed an overuse issue in my left bicep in March.

During April I switched over to the advance novice program to give arm a rest, which seemed to do the trick, along with the ice and ibruprofine.

By the way, we had twins born in March as well, which made the rest thing a bit of a challenge.

So by May I got back on track with the SS Novice program and it has been going pretty well since then. I am still progressing but keeping it slow an steady.

Today's workout

Squat 205 3x5
    Bench 202.5 1x5, 2x4
    Dead Lift 310 1x4

The squats felt great today. i am working back to my PR of 225 where I strained a muscle in my upper thigh.

This was a PR work out. I don't have a spotter so did not want to attempt the 5th on the second set; might have made it. On the 3rd set, there was no way i could have gotten the 5th.

I screwed up on the dead lift today. I was going for a PR of 310, but for some stupid reason I overloaded the left side by 10 lbs. I continued the set anyway but had to stop on the 4th.

Pretty good numbers for 50 (not that you are an old man!)

Anyways, I'm a trainer/coach based out of Houston and the majority of my clients are aged 40-60. All of them have either been through or are currently going through the SS program so I've got some experience running non 18 year olds through the program. If you have any questions/concerns along your journey give me a holler through my log and I'll try and help you out if you need it!!

Nice work!

Thanks KSC.

Wed 8/26

Tonight?s work out was no fun. Felt lethargic. My gym is outside on my back porch (covered and screened in luckily). I thunderstorm rolled through just as I was starting which cranked the humidity right on up there and it was in the upper 80s. I was sweating before I even started.

Squats 210 3x5 I am working my way back up to my 5RM of 225. These felt good.

Press 132.5 3x5, 1x4 These felt really heavy. My mind was somewhere else. I started my work set loading up 147.5 instead of 132.5. That was somewhat of a surprise. Looking on the bright side that did give me a new PR for the press. So I go to put the weight back to where it should be, but screwed that up too. I am micro-loading 1.25 per workout. today I made a 2.5 jump instead of a 1.25. Hey but I completed the sets, less one rep.

Cleans just flat out sucked. The work set was 150 x5x3. First set of 3 was fair to bad. My form was just not there. I wasn't getting under the bar so my catches were crap. Only got 2 of the next set and almost strained my wrist getting under the bar.. I could tell this was going no where, so I called it a night.

Quote Originally Posted by Bergie View Post
    My gym is outside on my back porch (covered and screened in luckily). A thunderstorm rolled through just as I was starting which cranked the humidity right on up there and it was in the upper 80s. I was sweating before I even started.
    Please don't tell me you were working out outside -- with metal bar -- while lightning strikes were happening nearby.
    I know you said your porch is covered, but screens won't offer protection, and I've read about lightning even coming into houses through skylight tubes. Be careful out there!

(I'm 2 years younger than you, by the way; been doing SS for a few months. My #s are nowhere near yours; can't squat my bodyweight yet. So your #s look pretty good to me.)

~Kate

Kate,
    Thanks for your concern. The storm had moved on and there was no lightning going on at the time. Although I get a bolt of lightning might help you get out of the hole.

Today's work out was a looser. Sunday 8/30.

This week has been tough. My 5 month old twins caught some bug and had a fevers back to back from last Saturday through Monday. The 3 year old go it and he was sick for two days Thursday and Friday. Yesterday one of the twins came down with pink eye. So I have not gotten a full nights sleep in a while.

Plus my eating went crazy toward the end of the week. I usually eat around 3500 to 4000 cals a day. This past Fri, Sat I probably only ate 3500 total.

I was not in the mood to work out but felt I really needed to get it done.

The Squats felt good. 215x3x5 Maybe it was going to be a better day than I thought.

Bench last work out was 202.5 2x5 and 1x4 so I was going for 202.5 again. First set I just made 4 reps. The second set only 2 reps

I moved on to the Dead lift Last time was 310x3. I figured I had missed the 4th due to an asymmetrical weighted bar; ten more pounds on the left side. But I only made it to 3 reps today as well. I just ran out of gas.

Oh well, there will always be bad days. I'll just eat like crazy and see what happens next work out.

(note: I have updated the graph on the original post to include this session)

Quote Originally Posted by Bergie View Post
    The storm had moved on and there was no lightning going on at the time.
    Well, that's a relief. Now I can get those scary visions outta my head.

Oh well, there will always be bad days.....
    Hey, you gave it a shot even when you didn't feel like it, so props for that.
    And I know what you mean about running out of gas. Sort of an interesting feeling when one's body just sez "nope."

I'll stop butting into your thread now. Just popped in to see what some other folks around my age are doing.

Hope the little ones get better soon and you get some good sleep soon.

~Kate

Tues 9/1

Squat 220x3x5
    Press 132.5 1x5, 1x3, and 1x4
    Cleans 130x3x5

Squats are feeling good. Almost back to my 5RM where I strained my thigh. Everything feels good and solid now.

220x3x5 the very last rep was getting sloppy but overall I am happy with the results

Press was tough. I am hitting the wall with these, I have been micro loading 1.25 per workout. Didn't make the set this time out. Strike 1. We'll see how it goes next time.

Cleans were better tonight. I dropped the weight back to 130 to work on form. It still needs work, I am not very consistent. I will try to video it next session.

starting strength coach development program
    Thursday 9/3

Squats 225 3x5 new 5RM Noticed a little pain in my left upper thigh in the area that caused problems last spring. I was able to get through all the sets but a bit sore after the work out. It hurt walking up and down stairs, as an example.

Bench 202.5 1x4, 1x3,1x1 I am going to do 10% reset

Dead Lift 310 0 rep Couldn't get in past my knees. I am going to do a 10%.

This is my first reset on one of the two major lifts in my SS Novice program. I am not sure how that compares with others but I am happy to have gotten up to 310.

I am going to try to stay with the SS novice program until I have two resets on the squat.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast