starting strength gym
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Halfway to 70s Big

Default Halfway to 70s Big

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    A little background on myself. I had a daughter about 2 1/2 years ago and decided that I needed to start doing something physical. For my well-being and also to be around and active for a long time. At the time I decided to start MMA training and really enjoyed it but eventually realized two things:

1. The time it takes to be good at it (along with scheduling contraints) doesn't make it particularly family friendly.

2. I had been training for over a year and I weighed about 160lbs at almost 6'5". I even considered cutting to 155 for a tournament. That's just wrong.

I saw a picture of myself with my daughter at the beach when she was about 14 months old and I was disgusted with myself.

Fast forward to the present day.

I've been following this board for a while and have been strength training for about a year. My programs have been SS and 5/3/1 mostly and I've had some good results.

For some reason the 70s Big website that Justin has put together has really struck a chord with me. Johnny Pain and Rip have also been pretty instrumental in my mind set regarding getting stronger.

So that brings me here. About 17 months ago I weighed 160 and now I weigh about 210. My bodyfat is about the same. According the experts at 70s Big I should shoot for 265. So I'm about halfway there.

I'm following the Advanced Novice program and look forward to any feedback and insight.

thanks,

Matt

awesome man. I'm approaching a year myself. I started on SS and switched to Westside. I'm the opposite though...I'm trying to go from a fat fuck to Doug Young. Keep it going...you'll find a lot of support here just by posting your workouts.

My plan is to hit my previous best for 3 sets of 5 reps somewhere between my 6th and 10th workout (depending on the exercise). I'll be using 5lb increments for everything except deadlifts which will be 10lbs.

Does this sound about right?

The 5 lb jumps will run out faster on the bench, and OHP. I'm mircoloading both at 3lbs. a session and my numbers aren't that impressive.

I'm sure you're right. I have to decide where to get some plate mates in the next week or so.

I got adjustable ankle weights from Sports Authority. They come with little weight bars that each weigh a quarter pound. So you can microload a half pound at a time if you wanted.

Ditto Javs' solution. I got adjustable ankle or wrist weights at Wal-mart. Works great. I'll be using them soon for military presses, because rounding has caused me to repeat numbers or make jumps that are too big for my program.

Great suggestions, thanks. That will save me some cash.

10/8/09
    Squat
    45 x 5 x 2 sets
    70 x 5
    110 x 3
    145 x 2
    185 x 5 x 3 sets

These were real grinders. Pretty worn out the last few days b/c my sleep has sucked but I was stilll disappointed at how heavy this felt. Previous best of 3 sets of 5 was 200 about 4 weeks ago.

Bench
    45 x 5 x 2 sets
    65 x 5
    115 x4
    135 x 2
    150 x 5 x 3 sets
    Once again these started a little shaky but the 2nd and 3rd set were good. 2nd set had good bar speed and no hitches while the 3rd was a little slower but still smooth.

Assisted Chins
    3 sets of 10 reps with about 75lbs assist.

Post workout was a pint of strawberry milk.

Quote Originally Posted by StLRPh View Post
    I'm sure you're right. I have to decide where to get some plate mates in the next week or so.
    Old speaker magnets. Free.

starting strength coach development program
    10/9/09 - went to the doc's for a check up and my weight = 214.4

10/10/09 - played a full court basketball game as part of a fundraiser for my old college. Was planning on going to the gym that night once the kiddo went to sleep but my wife got called in to work so I'm having to push it until today.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast