starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Mental Aspect

Default The Mental Aspect

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    What do you do to psyche yourself up for big, heavy lifts? When it hurts from the moment the bar is on your back. I have a plethora of things I like to do, all of them don't always work, but at least one always does.

I used to be a real fat guy most of my life, so I take the hurt and rage from that and generally get a lot of adrenaline out of it. Also, the missed opportunities I had that went along with that. Or women that shot me down or hurt me. Music can be a real inspiration sometimes. Specifically, angry chick bands , or songs that remind me of a hurtful part of my life.

Overall, the best one for me is this: I have my own personal arch-nemesis at work and his name is Charlie. On specific eye-cue areas I wrote motivational quotes regarding Charlie. Like, "Charlie can beat you down any day" or "Your woman would rather be banging Charlie." Some of it is, by my own admission, is rather immature. But it works.

I had one thing that worked really well but I've found I can't do it. I used to think that if I didn't make a rep some type of harm would come to my child. It worked really great for awhile till one time I finally missed a rep. I was in a near depression the rest of the day. So I won't use anything like that anymore because, to me, this enters the realm of dangerous thinking.

I'm just curious if any of you have any other ideas, comments, suggestions, or other stories related to this. It is, in my opinion, the most important aspect of any type of training.

sometimes I'll try to slap myself in the face, if my mind is not ready. my wife thinks i'm kind of crazy when I come home with chalk all over my face. I've been thinking of trying some ammonia caps too.

I like the idea of using some douchebag from present or past work environments as a motivator. Might have to give this one a try.

I just lift the fucking weight.

Quote Originally Posted by misspelledgeoff View Post
    I like the idea of using some douchebag from present or past work environments as a motivator. Might have to give this one a try.
    I'm with you on this one! I may break personal records!

I don't go through near as much preparation as I used to since I saw Rippetoe make fun of someone for too much "pre-squat prayer." Now, the process is the same regardless of the lift: I get in position, check my footing, take a few deep breaths, and go. There's not much mental work going on either. When it comes to squatting, I have to just ignore the almost overpowering screams of "OMG SO HEAVY PUT IT DOWN GO HOME WATCH TV" and focus on my form. Squat is definitely the hardest lift mentally, on all the other lifts my mind is relatively clear.
    Last edited by klir_2m; 11-08-2009 at 05:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by klir_2m View Post
    I don't go through near as much preparation as I used to since I saw Rippetoe make fun of someone for too much "pre-squat prayer." Now, the process is the same regardless of the lift: I get in position, check my footing, take a few deep breaths, and go. There's not much mental work going on either. When it comes to squatting, I have to just ignore the almost overpowering screams of "OMG SO HEAVY PUT IT DOWN GO HOME WATCH TV" and focus on my form. Squat is definitely the hardest lift mentally, on all the other lifts my mind is relatively clear.

I agree. Dam squats is by far the most mentally challenging for me.

I don't really get all that excited. I just get under it, get a good belly full of air and go to work.

I usually have some high energy heavy metal music playing in the background to keep me pumped.

When going for a PR, that doesn't always cut it though. I lift at home, so sometimes I'll throw the movie Strong in and skip to the parts where someone is going all out, then stalk over to the bar and try to lift with as much energy as them.

Other times I'll think of the douche bag metro dude sporting a faux hawk at work with toothpick arms who thinks he's pretty tough because he has a six pack and 2% bodyfat. I bet he weighs about 145 soaking wet with clothes on.

Sometimes I'll pull up a video on youtube of someone lifting a shitload more than I lift.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast