starting strength gym
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 70's big in the USMC

Default 70's big in the USMC

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Currently deployed to Afghanistan, my buddy Josh (JMastaUSMC) and I (Randy) are making a joint log to track our progress. We're both doing linear progression a la Starting Strength. We are also both scheduled to be back in the US before December 1st and plan on starting GOMAD at that time. Out here it's slim pickings and we have to eat when we get the chance.

As far as the lifts go, we are on the same weight on everything except deadlifts and power cleans. This is Josh's first time doing the PCs but he's catching on quick and no doubt will be pulling big numbers soon. He's also deadlifting 255 for 5. His current weight is 170lb and i'm at 195lb. His goal is 200lb and mine is 225.

We'll both be posting in this thread as we do our workouts here in Kandahar and when we get back to the states.

Everything went as planned today.

Squat - 175x3x5
    Press - 110x3x5
    Power Clean - 150x5x3 and 110x5x3 for Josh

Semper Fi, devil dogs - my little brother's a Marine too. I'm just starting out and my loads are a lot like yours, so I'll definitely be checking in on how it goes for you. good luck.
    get some.
    josh

Default Movin' ON UP!

Weighed in yesterday at 177 lbs!

Today was a good day though I was able to get three burger patties and 4 whole eggs scrambled with everything. Once I start on the GOMAD, I've no doubts my BW will get where it needs to be...until then, I'm just trying to eat everything in sight!

Here's my projected weight plan for tonight.

Squat- 180# 3x5
    Bench- 165# 3x5
    Dead- 265# 1x5 PR

Good workout today for the most part. I am doing high bar squats as of now because it is more natural for me given my anthropometry.

Squat - 180x3x5
    Bench Press - 165x3x5 PR
    Deadlift - 305x1x4 (Round back on last rep according to Josh so I only counted 4.. Need to stabilize midline better next time. Will move to 310.
    Push-ups - 20,18 (Made sure to be very strict with my form on these and did not let my back sag. Very core-intensive.)
    Last edited by RandallH1989; 11-12-2009 at 01:15 PM.

Default PR's on bench and DL!

Great workout. Got my H1N1 shot today, so I was a little groggy on the squats but I still managed to get through them without dropping any reps. By the time I was on bench I was warmed up and hit a rep pr on bench (previous record was 165#x2x6) and my pr on deadlift went great and i plan to go up to 275# on tuesday. Here's the breakdown.

Height:5'10" Weight:177

180x3x5 - Squat
    165x3x5 - Bench Rep PR
    265x1x5 - Deadlift PR

Chins - 13, 10, 8

Well they had a barbecue at work today. Josh and I are on night shift so we're destroying all of the leftover steak. What a PWO meal!

Both of us had that H1N1 shot today.. Thankfully I feel fine.

..oink

oh shit.
    Last edited by RandallH1989; 11-12-2009 at 01:16 PM.

Just saw your thread, Randy. You guys know you have work to do, but I don't doubt you'll get it done. I can't wait for you to finally have milk.

Justin, I sent a picture in to the 70sbig email address. I am editing the first video in a series we plan on producing that is pretty damn funny and is all about 70s big in the Marines. Will upload to YouTube once editing is complete.

Yep, we get back around the end of this month so the GOMAD will be happening. We also plan on doing the "Andy's Challenge" which is some eating contest they have at a burger place on base. Not sure the exact amount of food but i'm sure Josh and I can do it. Video will be taken then as well.

As of now, we're just pounding as many calories as possible. It's pointless to worry about quality when you're out here, so we just consume as much as we can. I weighed in at 199 last night so i'm almost an adult male!
    Last edited by RandallH1989; 11-12-2009 at 01:41 PM.

starting strength coach development program
    Good workout today. High bar squats are feeling great. Very natural movement for me and no pain in my back. However, power cleans are reaching that point where the weight doesn't want to rack. The bar is ending up on my lower deltoids. Press is solid and should have no problem continuing.

Squat - 185x3x5
    Press - 115x3x5
    Power Clean - 155x2x3, 145x1x3, 150x2x3 (Will attempt 155 again next time.)

Broke the 200lb. mark today. Bodyweight PR.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast