starting strength gym

Thread: Texas Method Program Critique Please

Default Texas Method Program Critique Please

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Here's what I've started: I'm taking a pretty big de-load the first few weeks after not really being able to recover from the advanced novice program for a while. I'm not in real bad shape(~17% BF, 198 pounds, 5'9"), but am looking at dropping about 10 pounds of fat after I've put on 20 pounds in the last few months. (I was on a diet earlier in year and went from about 206 @ 22% down to 180 @ 13%.)

Week A
    Volume - Squat 5x5, Bench Press 5x5, Power Clean 3x5sets
    Recovery - Split squats, 10-20x3 sets for first few weeks switch to front squats 3x3, Press 5x2sets, Chin-ups 3 sets, Bent over Good Morning 10x3sets
    Intensity - Squat 5x1set, Bench Press 5x1set, Deadlift 5x1set

Week B
    Volume - Squat 5x5, Press 5x5, Power Clean 3x5sets
    Recovery - Split squats, 3 sets for first few weeks switch to front squats 3x3, Bench Press 5x2sets, Pull-ups 3 sets, Bent over Good Morning 10x3sets
    Intensity - Squat 3x1set, Press 5x1set, Deadlift 3x1set

So far on recovery day I haven't been going to failure on the chin-ups/pull-ups and I'm planning to keep the good mornings fairly light but feel my low back is a weak point so that's why I put them in. On squat and deadlift I'm alternating each week on intensity day between 5 reps and 3 reps. Keeping the bench and press at 5 reps since I rotate movements. From what I've heard, Rip is doing away with front squat recommendations, but I kind of like them.

I enjoy power cleans, but not sure I'm getting much out of them. My technique is not great, but decent. Wondering if I should move chins/pull-ups to Monday and alternate each week with power cleans.

Squatting and deadlifting on the same day sucks! Not bad so far since I started light, but I've tried it in the past and couldn't do one rep in the deadlift with a weight I've done 5 reps with on a different day!

best 5x3sets lifts:
    SQ - 325
    BP - 215
    Press - 125
    DL - 365 x 5 x 1 set

Have SS and PPST #1, and planning to buy PPST#2 this weekend so that should help also, but was curious to get people's input on the forum.

Thanks.

Default Swich PC and DL?

Your program is very similar to what I've been doing for a while. I found doing power cleans on volume day difficult, because the 5*5 squat and 5*5 bench press took most of the zing out of my body. For me, 5*1 dead lift on monday and 5*3 power clean on friday worked better.