starting strength gym

Thread: Brian's Log

Default Brian's Log

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I've never been strong or particularly athletic (unless you count cycling), but this year decided to quit being weak and start lifting. Found the SS wiki and then Rip's books, and am lucky enough to have a cheap SS-friendly gym nearby with no less than 12 power racks and lots of olympic bars and plates. I've also invested in fractional plates.

Stats:
    34yo male Filipino, 5'4" tall and skinny-fat (some would just say skinny) with narrow shoulders.

Before/After 1 month SS:
    Body Weight: 135-->142lbs (I wear size 30 jeans)
    Squat: 90-->170lbs
    DL: 160-->231lbs
    Bench: 90-->117.5lbs
    Press: 60-->90lbs
    Power Clean: 60-->90lbs
    Pullups/chins: bodyweight x 5reps

I'm now at the point where the weights are getting to be challenging for me. I've started to use the fractional plates on the press and bench. Time to get my diet in check, maybe add some protein drinks too.

Several months prior to SS, I experimented with various keto diets and got down to around 125lbs easily, so I'm not worried about adding fat at this point if that's what I need to gain strength and muscle. I know how to diet it off later.

Short-term goals:
    - 1.5xbodyweight squat (roughly 225)
    - 300lbs deadlift
    - not get too fat that I need to buy new jeans
    - improve power clean technique

I usually work late, but the gym is open 24/7 so I end up training around midnight. This latest workout, however, started around 1:30AM Friday.

5-minute warmup on elliptical machine thing
    Squats: 170x5/5/4
    Bench: 117.5x3x5
    DL: 231x5

Reps are very slow now, on all movements. In retrospect I think I could have gotten that last squat rep.

Another 1:30AM workout.

Squats: 170x5/5/5
    Press: 92.5x3x5
    Power clean: 94x3/3/3/3/2 missed the last rep and was too wasted to try again

Last night's workout sucked. First I forgot my Timex Ironman watch which I use to time my rest periods. When I get to the gym I discover that my cat has peed in my gym bag. I did my best to wash out my gear at the sink, but it still stank of cat urine.

My workout was supposed to be squats, bench, reverse hypers and chins. Squats 175x3x5 worked out fine, a few form issues but bar speed was ok. During the first warmup set of the bench I felt a twinge of pain in my right elbow. The twinge developed into a throbbing ache so I quit after failing the last rep of my first set at 120lbs. This was disheartening because I had successfully done three sets of 117.5 at my last workout. I aborted the workout, packed up and went home to ice my elbow and go to bed.

On the plus side, I've been drinking milk, eating more and weighed in at 147lbs this morning. I'll probably take an extra rest day and train on Thursday instead of tomorrow.

I hope you gave your cat a good talking to!

Quote Originally Posted by JC400 View Post
    I hope you gave your cat a good talking to!
    If you've ever had a cat, you'd know that scolding them is an exercise in futility. They'll just ignore you and walk away.

Last night:
    Squat: 180x5/5/4 video ofset 1, feel free to comment
    Press: 95x3x5
    Deadlift: 236x2

I figured out where the triceps pain came from. I got it while trying to get a closer grip on the bar during the squat in an attempt to increase upper back tension. This seems to aggravate my elbow. I'll go back to my old grip.

Press felt good, up until the last rep which was slooooow but I got it up there.

For the DL I was concentrating on my form. I'd been feeling my back round a bit on previous workouts, so I reviewed all Rip's DL videos on youtube and the DL chapter in SS. I got the 2 reps with good (I think) form, but was unable to clear the floor on a third. Should I drop the weight a bit and work up again with proper form?
    Last edited by brianb; 11-20-2009 at 01:33 AM. Reason: added link to video

starting strength coach development program
    brian buti ka pa sa eclipse.. e ako sa kanto gym lang, tingin lahat ng tao sa kin powerlifter. D'OH! balita ko mahal jan sa eclipse tapos mura dun sa zest, natry mo na ba dun?