starting strength gym
Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: JC's Log

Default JC's Log

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Never done a training log before so thought I might as well give it a go...

Just recovered from a 6 week lay off due to lower back issues, Prior to that I had been following a SS program working up to:

Squat 375lbs x 5
    Bench 289lbs x 5
    Deadlift 495lbs x 3
    Powerclean 220lbs x 3

So i have spent the last couple of weeks easing back in to it and plan to take it slow and steady, this week was the first that I could give it anywhere near 100% with any confidence in my back. Have dropped weights down 10% or so from where they were. As they say slow and steady wins the race.

I’m looking for progressing steadily each week for next 5 weeks hopefully hitting some pr’s prior to christmas. Not sure what I am aiming for I will update some goals when I have given it a bit of thought and seen how quick my strength comes back.

Feel free to drop in and leave a comment or some questions.

Monday 9th Nov

Squat 3 x 5 335
    Bench 5,4,3,3 284
    Deadlift 2 x 1 x 473
    Core work

Squats were comfortable
    Bench was slow on second set so decided to finish with 2 sets of 3 much more dynamic.
    Deadlift has more to come.

Wednesday 11th Nov

Squat 3 x 2 335
    Hang clean into Shoulder Press (DB) 3 x 5 70
    Hang Clean 3 x 3 132

Nothing to see here everyone keep on moving...

Friday 13th Nov

Squat Singles up to 363
    Bench 3 x 1 300
    Deadlift singles up to 484
    Chins 3 x 5 50

Squats ok still working on some form issues need to iron them out now before things get heavy.
    Bench was ok, I like to keep weight to something I can move quick rather than grind up, these were quick.
    Thought I would push my dead’s again don’t think I am going to deadlift heavy twice in a week again but I am greedy to get back to where I was. Then again I do like a deadlift.
    oh...I did some bicep curls and tricep extensions (don't tell anyone)

JC, did you hurt your back lifting or doing extra-
    curricular activities? Also, how long were you doing SS and what are your current height/weight stats?

Nice lifts, btw!

Thanks for dropping in misspelledgeoff.

Hurt my back lifting, started to feel some discomfort but decided to battle through it. should have taken a week of but got greedy - mistake.

6ft 225lbs was up to 235lbs but not squating or deadlifting for 6 weeks was like going on slimfast!

Did SS for 5 weeks still making progress when I got injured. My workouts will go back to a more SS template in a few weeks as I think there is still a bit more to get out of it for me.

Monday 16th November

Squat 3 x 2 352
    Bench 5 x 3 292
    Deadlift 1 x 495

I ate a lot of meat and drank a lot of milk over the weekend and I felt very strong in the gym...strange that?

Squat - A bit worried as my knee was sore through the warm up sets but once I got some weight on the bar seemed to sort it out. Reps were deep and fairly quick.
    Bench - Was only meant to do 3 sets but felt so good I chucked up a couple more. Reps were getting faster as sets progressed.
    Deadlift - Planned to only go up to 400 as a bit of a deload following last weeks heavy sessions. But had bags of power there so went up to new post injury PR it took all the will in the world not to go for over 500... I have a date with that on Friday.

if my math is correct, that's a 5-wheel pull! awesome!

Cheers, 5 plate in normal land mixture of about 9 different plates a side in crazy busy gym land!

starting strength coach development program
    Wednesday 18th November

Squat 3 x 1 363
    Hang clean into Shoulder Press (DB) 3 x 5 77
    Hang Clean Triples up to 176
    Power Clean 3 x 3 198

Squat - Solid and deep more there for Friday.
    Hang into SP - I do these single arm, decided to up the weight. Only issue is you can't micro load as they are DB's. But managed ok.
    Everything else - All comfortable kept weight low enough so that movements were quick. Focusing on power rather than max strength.

I am not really following a structured increase with squats I have been changing reps and weights around at will - 'free styling' a bit. Going to have to get a bit more strict with my program otherwise progress might start stalling.

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast